Price Gouging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are the flippers running afoul of the law? If somebody has had a firearm for a while and sells it for current market value and makes a few bucks because it has appreciated, I'd think they'd be OK. If folks are buying stuff and immediately putting it up for sale at a higher price, it would be hard to defend against a charge of dealing without a license.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be pissed about gouging but am starting to realize both sides of the situation. If I want to sell an ar and buy an ak, I'm going to have to sell it for 2k to buy the $1500 ak. Flipping for a profit is strictly capitalism 101. Guns and ammo aren't requirements in order to live. They are luxury items, so as much as I hate paying it, I don't HAVE to have them either. I've sold a couple of $30 pmags and I felt weird about it but the lpk I wanted suddenly cost $250 so I had to do that. It's not like the water supply is dry and I'm selling bottles of water for $1000 a piece. They didn't NEED pmags and I didn't force them to buy it just like I didn't need a $50 lpk for $250.
Just my .02

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People seem to think the shelves are empty because of gougers buying up everything.
This is simply not correct.
The so called gougers may be making a profit by reselling at a large markup, but remember some of them are spending all night in a line outside of academy or wherever.

Any of us could do this if we wanted to, take a day off or just stay up all night to be in line and do without sleep.
It simply isn't worth it to me and I suspect most of the people here don't want it that bad.

The thing to remember is if those people couldn't sell the stuff they would not buy it. If you remove the extra middle man that does nothing to remove the demand, the shelves would still be empty.

There is nothing morally wrong about buying low and selling high as long as both parties are willing participants.

I haven't felt the need to do it but I'd rather have the option of paying twice the going rate for something I desperately want than having no way to obtain the item other than staying in line for days.

There is no right to cheap ammunition and guns.

The fair market value of an item has nothing to do with the price you paid for it.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whether something is a necessity or not, people have a right to do as they please with their own property, including asking whatever price they want for it. It is a right that is frequently infringed upon, but a natural and inalienable right nonetheless. Morally, I have no issues with anything a willing buyer and a willing seller want to agree to. Or a seller who doesn't want to sell unless he can get a very high price for his item. It's his business how bad he wants to get rid of it, and how much he thinks he can get for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom