Price Gouging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's bad.

I went to the gunshow in Shawnee today. I only saw two guns that were in the neighborhood of a fair price. I wanted to take a serious look at one of them and couldn't get waited on.

The only money I spent there was the entry fee.
I went there with my dad and I was very disappointed. I did however buy some G17 17 round mags for $30 a piece. Then I realized that they were 17 instead of 15 rounders. LOL. Oh well, still got some extra's for my G19. That was a good deal. All the other people that I saw were asking over $40. There guns and most accessories were so high I didn't even think about buying anything. But don't get me started on the ammo. Some dude was trying to get me to buy some pmc bronze .223 for $20 a box!! I just bought 10 boxes from BDC for $9 dollars a box. The guy told me that he would sale me the whole case for $795!! Then he said this is great ammo. I laughed and walked off. I hope that the show in OKC is better next month. Is the big show in Tulsa usually pretty good? I am planning on going up there.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that sounded like an Obama speech given a couple of weeks ago! How sad, his influence is corrupting this board!

I'm talking about a marketplace where people are free to sell their property as they see fit subject only to finding a willing buyer.

Obama is talking about government regulation to strip us of our freedoms.
Somehow you conflate those into being related.

That is sad.

Obama would tax guns and ammunition beyond the ability of people to buy them, that's a blatant violation of the 2nd amendment.
If you want to pass a law forbidding people from selling guns and ammunition for too much money, that's just another variety of tyranny where you strip them of property rights without just compensation.

If the free market prices guns and ammunition too highly then their competition is free to undercut their price and steal their customers, that is capitalism.

Three men buy three identical AR15's one paid $500 3 years ago, one paid $1000 1 year ago, and the final one paid $2100 1 month ago.

Explain to me what difference the price they paid makes to current value, when each one is asking you to buy their rifle?

If the going rate for an identical gun is now $1200 is the person who made $700 a worse person than the one who made $200?
Maybe you feel the guy that lost $900 when he sold you his gun is in some way a better person.

If the gun is now worth $1200 it's worth $1200, the price they paid for it does not affect it's current value.

:rtfm::fullauto::angry3:finally

Please don't compare me to obama, thems fightin words.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy that is hardly selling any 9mm at just above scrap price! He was even making noise about scrapping it to make room for stuff that does sell. I blame the primer hoarders for some of this.

But I think 9mm will be one of the last to recover from the panic buying so the brass will get harder to get. Personally I am making sure I have plenty for my own use because when the primers become available again I want plenty on hand. I feel that when something is plentiful you should stock up if you use much of it.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have kept my prices the same as before the chaos started, I sold alot but still have some stuff left. I did not gouge anyone !!! I also am keeping a list of gougers on this forum, Like saddlebum said, Don't expect any favors here!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy that is hardly selling any 9mm at just above scrap price! He was even making noise about scrapping it to make room for stuff that does sell. I blame the primer hoarders for some of this.

Yeah, I peddle a little brass through the local gun shop. The .40 stuff he can't hardly get rid of. LEO, and competition shooters seem to be the only ones that like that caliber.

Reaction score
I waited outside Academy all night and bought a SIG 556R for $1250 with tax. I liked it so much, sold my used AR at a gunshow for $1550 to cover the cost. While I need AK mags now, there is no way I am paying $25+ for them. I will wait for a deal to come along or make a deal with the 10 PMAGS I ordered back on Dec 23 when I get them.

This is what I don't understand about people whining about not having .22 ammo. If you need some, go get your arse in line at Academy when they open and grab a 1400 round bucket or a bulk pack. You will eventually get some and you won't overpay with the exception of the prices that have gone up from retailers. You can't expect to just casually walk into WalMart and just pick up .22 ammo any time you want. It just will not happen. I even took a half day off from work a few times.

If you do not want to do these things, then expect to pay more to save you on your time/effort. :blush:

Car dealers do the same thing. I test drove a Kia Optima Turbo over at Big Red a few weeks ago. When I looked at the stickers on the Optimas, almost every one had an extra $2500 added on the sticker to the side and it was called "market adjustment." HOW DARE THEY MARK UP A CAR! I would never pay that, but they can do whatever they want I guess. :woot: Not sure who they were kidding because they had a crap ton of them and it's not like there were people outside waiting to get them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom