Private LEO's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should point out that my primary disagreement with this program is the lack of Due Process for the citizen. A citizen travelling freely within the United States should be secure in their persons and effects, to include their money. I don't care if they're carrying a dollar or a million dollars. If you want to seize it and keep it, you should be forced to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the money is the result of a criminal act. Forcing American citizens to spend considerable time, money and effort to prove to the state that money in their possession IS NOT the result of a criminal enterprise, is simply un-American.

I find this ironic that you make this statement, as it is my understanding you're a TSA agent

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find this ironic that you make this statement, as it is my understanding you're a TSA agent

Why would you find it ironic? We don't take anything from anyone. If it's contraband or illegal, local law enforcement does. If it's neither of those, every passenger has the option to return the way they came and do with it as they wish.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would you find it ironic? We don't take anything from anyone. If it's contraband or illegal, local law enforcement does. If it's neither of those, every passenger has the option to return the way they came and do with it as they wish.

I think Norman may be alluding to the idea of a government-mandated search of private citizens flying private, commercial airlines. But we've already covered that at length here.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Norman may be alluding to the idea of a government-mandated search of private citizens flying private, commercial airlines. But we've already covered that at length here.
That's exactly what I was alluding to. Although it has been discussed, I still find comments such as the above to be ironic. Maybe it's just me? I've been told I have a weird sense of humor...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel the need to point out that I don't search passengers, I work with the aviation industry on regulatory compliance. That being said, TSA didn't start the search requirements. Those came well before the TSA, when the FAA was still over security. The reason for the mandatory searches has to do with commercial aviation hijackings prior to 9/11. One of the regulatory requirements I oversee has to do with insider threats to aviation, in part as a direct result of PSA Flight 1771 back in 1987.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_1771

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll just say that when the LEO hands you your stuff (ID, insurance, etc) back and tells you that you are now free to go, get in your car and go. Don't stand around and participate in casual conversation with the officer about your travel plans. Also do not consent to a search.

This is good advice. Be aware, the "follow up conversation" is usually phrased so as to not literally be an order, but would not make most people think they have the option of not complying... like "why don't you let me ask you a few more questions," or "you mind sitting back down and answering some more questions?" The best response is to say you'd rather not, and you'd like to get going as quickly as possible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom