Private LEO's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knight92

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay after much thought and contemplation, I have to ask if where pulled over carrying or not, by a contract LEO like the DA of a SW Oklahoma county did a year or two ago what would you do? What can they do if they can not offer a Badge, CLEET, and Commission? What about the DA's investigator riding with him, does the investigator have any arresting rights/power, or plain sight search powers?

The only thing I can think I would do is call OHP after they failed to produce a Badge, CLEET, and Commission. Or go on my way to the closest OHP or Police HQ. If I have any doubts I will not turn over any info to those I think are acting as police or under the false authority of the District Attorney, ie contract LEO's. Neither of these have the power to arrest correct?

Do you tell said person you are carrying seems it could quickly get out of hand the situation?

Sorry for so many questions in one post but it is something which has nagged and bugged me since the day I first read/ heard about the story.

Thanks for your time and input

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is interesting. I'll ask my son in law (TPD) next time I see him. My reaction initially is this...I go out of my way to avoid issues socially all the time. So there's little doubt I would ever come into contact with an LEO or a contract LEO (seems like an odd handle by the way) for any reason. With that said. If one of these rent-a-cop contract LEOs felt the need to detain me for some reason I don't think I would listen very long unless the person could produce a badge from a recognize LEO agency. I'm not throwing around a testosterone induced bad attitude I just don't think I would take kindly to a non-LEO trying to arrest me or give me a ticket. ,

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking about the Desert Snow contract money makers that were/are being used in the state?

To my knowledge, they did/do have a "real" cop with them at all times. If anyone wants my ID or wants to ask me questions, it's going to be the commissioned LEO.

(I have no problem with an LEO being trained, in the field, by a contractor...but the cop needs to be the one interacting with the citizens, not the contractor)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If anyone wants my ID or wants to ask me questions, it's going to be the commissioned LEO.

Exactly. Our local refinery has a big security detail with camera's and mobile rent a cops. I had to stop on the state highway that runs through the center of it to tighten a chain that came loose on the tractor I was pulling on a trailer.
Two blazed up to me, one from the front, and one from the rear, basically almost blocking me in. Ran up and asked for ID, pointing to the signs on the fence that it was a secure area, and I couldn't stop. Said I had to wait there for OHP to show up.

Sorry bout their luck. Got a good laugh out of it, and moved on. Your right, it had better be a commissioned officer stop me.

OKSpeedDemon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most DAs have a taskforce for drugs and/or violent crimes. They are commissioned officers.

An agency can issue a temporary commission card to anybody they want for as long as they want. I've received a temp commission for a day to work an event at a neighboring agency out of my jurisdiction, and my agency has done the same to bring officers in to work disasters in the area.

I've been to that particulate contractors school/training and I have to say it's probably one of the best classes for LEOs on highway interdiction.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. Our local refinery has a big security detail with camera's and mobile rent a cops. I had to stop on the state highway that runs through the center of it to tighten a chain that came loose on the tractor I was pulling on a trailer.
Two blazed up to me, one from the front, and one from the rear, basically almost blocking me in. Ran up and asked for ID, pointing to the signs on the fence that it was a secure area, and I couldn't stop. Said I had to wait there for OHP to show up.

Sorry bout their luck. Got a good laugh out of it, and moved on. Your right, it had better be a commissioned officer stop me.

So you mean you didn't wait for OHP, and left anyway? Blowing off the security guards? Just making sure I understood right.

For the record I'd have left too. No way I am letting private security attempt to detain me, especially when I'm on public highway.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most DAs have a taskforce for drugs and/or violent crimes. They are commissioned officers.

An agency can issue a temporary commission card to anybody they want for as long as they want. I've received a temp commission for a day to work an event at a neighboring agency out of my jurisdiction, and my agency has done the same to bring officers in to work disasters in the area.

I've been to that particulate contractors school/training and I have to say it's probably one of the best classes for LEOs on highway interdiction.
Well that's the crux of the matter. Are these guys commissioned, and will they provide proof of said commission when asked by a detainee to provide it, and should we as citizens leave if they fail to produce it?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you mean you didn't wait for OHP, and left anyway? Blowing off the security guards? Just making sure I understood right.

For the record I'd have left too. No way I am letting private security attempt to detain me, especially when I'm on public highway.

Yep, just drove away. Kept thinking I might see some lights behind me, but never did. Guy in front tried to block me from leaving with his little truck, but It didn't work.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well that's the crux of the matter. Are these guys commissioned, and will they provide proof of said commission when asked by a detainee to provide it, and should we as citizens leave if they fail to produce it?

The Desert Snow guys in question are/were not commissioned Oklahoma LEOs...but to my knowledge they always have a legit LEO with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom