Processing wild hog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am ready

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Posting this to get my post count up so that I may access the classified section.

I have heard that if you take a wild hog to the processor, if they do it at all it will just be quartered. I also heard they will cut it up the way you want. For those of you that have landed plenty of hog and have taken it to a processor what all cuts can you get out of it?

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always process animals myself, just learned since I was a kid and that was the way my father and grandfather did it.

How much do they charge to process a hog? deer?

I can't imagine shooting something and giving it to someone else. I'm afraid I'd come back with someone elses deer meat or hog meat.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just jerk out the loins to grill and hams to smoke, leave the rest for the coyotes. I don't even mess with guttin them. Being that they are such a nuisance, I don't feel bad about killing every one I see and just leavin it lay, coyotes gotta eat too. But if I need smokin meat I will cut out some hams.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ROOs7 - You speak the truth. You've been there enough and killed enough. A good pig is a dead pig. Hey after you finish cuttin up the pig you have a good scent bomb to ding some pasture dogs over.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only killed one, but your probably correct in taking the hams, backstrap and tenderloin. To get the tenderloin you don't have to gut them, just know where its at, and cut through the top of the spine and break it over and cut them out.
Is this the way you do it?

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only killed one, but your probably correct in taking the hams, backstrap and tenderloin. To get the tenderloin you don't have to gut them, just know where its at, and cut through the top of the spine and break it over and cut them out.
Is this the way you do it?

I'm wondering this also. Also, a co-worker of mine also told me that right now the meat isn't good? He said that you have to cool the meat pretty quick also? Dunno if it's true or not, can anyone answer that for me.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've eaten pigs killed in the heat of the summer and they were fine. I agree, you can't drive around half the day with it in the back of your truck like you can in the winter, you need to cool it quickly. I wouldn't want to eat a pig that has been sittin in a trap all day in the heat, which adds additional stress to the animal. Following the usual rules of processing, quick clean kill, cool quickly, bleed and freeze, they are fine in my opinion.

As for the bacon, there usually isn't enough fat on one to even bother. One of the big differences between a domestic and feral.

Latest posts

Top Bottom