Processing wild hog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering this also. Also, a co-worker of mine also told me that right now the meat isn't good? He said that you have to cool the meat pretty quick also? Dunno if it's true or not, can anyone answer that for me.

They are no different than any wild or domestic game.
The meat must be cooled as soon as possible.
On a live animal the meat is close to our body temp and we don't rot away while still alive.
But, when an animal dies, the process accelerates tremendously.
Depending on the ambient temperature, the meat can make it for awhile if its cold outside, or spoil within a few hours if its the middle of summer.
Getting any game cooled down as quickly as possible is the key.
Getting the guts out and proping the rib cage open is the first and easiest way to do it, but if its in the summer, one needs to get the animal into the shade, and then to a place where you can buy ice to get it all cooled down.

My first stop after getting an animal down and properly tagged is to get to the nearest convience store and buying enough ice to fill the cavity.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very interesting; thank you - could prove useful for elk & moose too.

I learned about getting the tenderloins out of a large animal that has to be quartered from a friend that I work with. He went on a bison hunt in NW KS.

It was billed as an authentic bison hunt. The property was many thousands of acres. They slept in Teepees, and ate in a sod dugout. They asked hunters to dress in period clothing, and the hunters never saw a motorized vehicle the whole time they were there. Horses only. When my buddy got his bull, the guide counted vertabra, and used an ax to seperate the spine. Reached inside, and got the tenderloins out. Never gutted the animal. He got the cape as well, and had it tanned.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does this technique require an axe/hatchet/saw, Dennis, or just a sharp knife & skill/patience/time?

Oh nevermind, I see you answered it. Need axe.
For a 2000 lb animal, it takes some powerful cutting equipment.

I'm gonna try that on a deer this fall. I've seen a guy quarter one out without gutting it. I wear gloves to my elbow, so its no big deal to gut one, but this was was pretty interesting.
He put the deer on its belly, and slit the skin all the way from the back of the head to the tail. Continued skinning it down one side until he got to the leg joints, and then just cut the bottom of the legs off, and cut off the quarters and the neck meat on that side.
Kind of rolled it on the other side, and did the same thing. Took the backstraps after both sides were done. He has shot it kind of high and back so he didn't go after the tenderloins.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a 2000 lb animal, it takes some powerful cutting equipment.

I'm gonna try that on a deer this fall. I've seen a guy quarter one out without gutting it. I wear gloves to my elbow, so its no big deal to gut one, but this was was pretty interesting.
He put the deer on its belly, and slit the skin all the way from the back of the head to the tail. Continued skinning it down one side until he got to the leg joints, and then just cut the bottom of the legs off, and cut off the quarters and the neck meat on that side.
Kind of rolled it on the other side, and did the same thing. Took the backstraps after both sides were done. He has shot it kind of high and back so he didn't go after the tenderloins.

For deer we hang em from a tree... peel back the skin around their neck, cut their legs off at the knees... put a golf ball in the skin of the neck, tie a rope around it, tie the other end of the rope to a trailer hitch and slowly drive off... skin peels right off then you can break down the quarters and get the straps etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom