Progress = Better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Bsa

Marksman
Reaction score
I heard a gentleman, with whom I have much respect, state that all of this development around okc (new buildings being built, businesses being opened, new roads being built, roads being widened, new neighborhoods etc) are progress and progress is good.

My questions are, "what is your definition of progress" and "what is your view of his definition of progress"?

MarkV

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"what is your definition of progress" = a move towards positive surplus.

"what is your view of his definition of progress" New buildings, businesses, roads, neighborhoods are not necessarily progress. One must look at how these thing affect the people around them too, not just the view of "his" definition of progress.

For instance say you live downtown, and a new skyscraper is built near you. Your property value will most likely increase but so will your taxes and congestion around your house. Is that a net gain or loss for the property owner?

That is to each and their own.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
That's a tough one. we talk about it at work all the time. Our salary's come from property and sales taxes. It's a necessary evil, at least in my case, that the wheat field across the street isn't there any more...

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great Question. Three areas come to mind:

Economics
New job creation and maintenance of existing jobs
Profits for business owners

Quality of Life
Livable neighborhoods that facilitate a sense of community
Good traffic flow

Natural Resources - Protection of enough natural areas to provide:
A pleasant viewscape
Walking or other outdoor recreational opportunities
Protection of plant communities (the CrossTimbers around OKC) to insure that soil is protected from erosion, water soaks in or runs off slowly enough to prevent excess flooding and protect surface and groundwater quality and quantity.

What do I think about his definition?
It is limited at best. It overlooks many factors that make life better. Many people look only at the superficial attractiveness of homes and neighborhoods and the accessibility and quality of shopping and restaurants. Oklahoma City, being spread out as it is, has some unique opportunities to preserve CrossTimber areas to the benefit of all. Ultimately the home buyer determines what is incorporated into the development of neighborhoods. They must ask for and be willing to pay extra for good features outside the individual lot boundaries.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom