Protecting Others With CCW License

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went back found all my SDA paperwork and stuff I received when I was applying for my CC permit. This was effective as of 2008-2009. The laws may or may not have changed since then.

Attached is a photo of a paper that outlines who I can protect with my permit. Sorry for the crappy quality.

See item #2.
"The life of your mother, father, husband, wife, child, employee or employer is threatened at that moment:"

Note it leaves brother and sister and grand parents out, but includes employer and employee instead.

However, see item #3...
"Your home is invaded and you believe the person will harm you or another person in your home;"

Note how it doesn't specify who that other person is in your home...

Attachments

• sda.jpg
    sda.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 187

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's definitely not statute, but looks like a nice reminder someone who held the class printed out. Is it a quick enough read to review quickly between drawing and firing?

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's definitely not statute, but looks like a nice reminder someone who held the class printed out. Is it a quick enough read to review quickly between drawing and firing?

It was part of the packet I received when I was going through the process of getting my CC permit about a year ago.

The instructor reiterated item #2 though and stressed the importance of it.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2 cents:
While I didn't find it in the SDA regulation book, the handout you should've received from the instructor when you took the certification class, is in regards to defense of another and mentions using deadly force only in defense of a spouse, parent, child, employer or employees.
It mentions nothing about using deadly force to defend anyone else. IMO, it forbids it. Non-deadly force would be ok I guess.
Now in defense of home, that's all off. IMO, you have a legal right to defend any legal occupant of your dwelling, but as in any defense catagory; (self, another or home) you cannot use deadly force legally against a non-deadly threat. Comes down to threat assessment and what is reasonable and necessary. I guess one could intervene and if/when the deadly threat was directed towards you, take action as needed.
Also as stated in the manual, none of this is intended as legal advice.
Just my 2 cents.

quoting myself for your benefit

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went back found all my SDA paperwork and stuff I received when I was applying for my CC permit. This was effective as of 2008-2009. The laws may or may not have changed since then.

Attached is a photo of a paper that outlines who I can protect with my permit. Sorry for the crappy quality.

See item #2.
"The life of your mother, father, husband, wife, child, employee or employer is threatened at that moment:"

Note it leaves brother and sister and grand parents out, but includes employer and employee instead.

However, see item #3...
"Your home is invaded and you believe the person will harm you or another person in your home;"

Note how it doesn't specify who that other person is in your home...

I believe it was handed out (I think I even got one) however, it is NOT statutory. I'm not saying it isn't good advice but ultimately we are judged by the LAW! If someone can show me another law that specifies whom we can defend I will consider the facts. until then....

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

DaveTec

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To expound on what Shadowrider said, consider this:

You're at work, and you hear a commotion. You leave your office, to find your boss on the floor with a gun to his head. You shoot the assailant. Congratulations! Your boss had been laundering money and you just shot a treasury department official!

Never go to anyone elses defense that you wouldn't mind spending the rest of your life in jail for. Period. Friends and family included. My family is above reproach and of course I'd take a bullet for any of them. Some of my friends have questionable backgrounds.

Be damn sure what you do with your gun.

dbarbee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a nutshell this is a condensed story that was told in my SDA class.

A dude and his wife are at a gas station getting gas. The wife is sitting in the car and the dude is pumping gas. A black, tinted windowed, all "rimmed out and slammed" SUV pulls up to them and 4 dudes with guns get out. These dudes are obvious thugsters decked out in "crips or bloods" type garb. They are pointing their hardware at the dude pumping gas. Joe SDA/CCW citizen is exiting the store and sees all of this go down. He draws his weapon and intervenes on behalf of the dude pumping gas. Lucky for this guy that the thugsters were pretty highly trained and he didn't actually fire his weapon in the intervention. They were all DEA and U.S. Marshals making a bust.

It's just not a good idea in almost ALL cases.

We always hear the scenarios like this and I agree they should definitely be considered before jumping in, but what if they really were thugs and innocent people were about to be killed? It could have even been one of his friends pumping the gas while he went in the store.

According to the justifiable homicide statute, it would not be justifiable homicide (Not a spouse, parent, child, etc)

But, according the the SDA, deadly force seems to be is authorized. (prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony)

What I read is that you are authorized to kill the thug, but not justified.

Seems like a contradiction to me or at least a very gray area, am I missing something?

BTW, I agree with what others have said, while they are great references, the handouts received in CCW class won't be considered in court, only whats written in the law. Even the SDA pamphlet is only a compilation of relevant statutes, it doesn't include everything dealing with firearms and deadly force.

bean1972

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am brand new to this forum. I found this site while doing research for an argumentative essay for a college course. Here's what I am looking for, hopefully someone can offer some guidance.

Do you know where I can find an example of a CCW that did protect themselves or others while in public (meaning not a home intrusion)? I was on a site that mentioned some examples, unfortunately I do not remember which site I was on.

Thank you!

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With all due respect to the law and law enforcement on this forum. I really don't care what the statutes or specific wording is.

If I see the whole situation, and I know what's going on, and I fail to defend someone in a time of need because I'm worried about a sentence in a book 200 miles away...I'd rather just kill myself.

With human life in question, I'm willing to risk breaking the law, and I would hope you would too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom