Purse Carry Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all- I AM AGAINST PURSE CARRY. This thread is no to debate this.
However, at some points my wife keeps her gun in her purse ( as I do in my EDC Versipack while playing sports, swimming etc...)
I've done a couple searches and couldn't find a thread on this and would like some input as far as leaving the purse with a handgun inside LEGALLY. For example, a woman will leave her purse on/by a couch to go to the bathroom or in a room where she is currently, but may be 30 feet from the purse. Leave purse in the car to pump gas...there are many other scenarios, but I would like to know how far is too far legally, if at all. Please provide documentation if not an opinion.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all- I AM AGAINST PURSE CARRY. This thread is no to debate this.
However, at some points my wife keeps her gun in her purse ( as I do in my EDC Versipack while playing sports, swimming etc...)
I've done a couple searches and couldn't find a thread on this and would like some input as far as leaving the purse with a handgun inside LEGALLY. For example, a woman will leave her purse on/by a couch to go to the bathroom or in a room where she is currently, but may be 30 feet from the purse. Leave purse in the car to pump gas...there are many other scenarios, but I would like to know how far is too far legally, if at all. Please provide documentation if not an opinion.

Here is the applicable definition:
Title 21 Section 1290.2 said:
. "Concealed handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol carried hidden from the detection and view of another person either upon or about the person, in a purse or other container belonging to the person, or in a vehicle which is operated by the person or in which the person is riding as a passenger

There is no statutory definition of distance. I would assume (and we all know about assumptions) that "about" would mean within reach of.

Now with your scenario's, I wouldn't see any issue with them either:
Leaving purse by a couch to use the bathroom seems to imply at someones home so that shouldn't be an issue.
Pumping gas, just lock the car doors if you go into the station. At that point you are not in possession of a concealed firearm, it is securely locked in your vehicle in the parking lot.

Now, if your wife was at a restaurant, I would not suggest leaving a purse with a firearm in it at the table while she went to the restroom, unless of course you were also there in which case the firearm could be said to be about your person.

Just my opinion on the interpretation.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well another scenario is a church setting. Meaning leaving purse in the pew or in a sitting area, to either go to restroom or to socialize etc...
thanks for your input

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it comes down to it, it is going to be comfort factor. At what point would your wife no longer be comfortable leaving her purse for some distance in any given situation. If she is worried that someone (perhaps a child) may trip over her purse or for some other reason be going through it, than she should definitely not leave it by itself.

The better question is, how far away from the purse can she get before she feels uncomfortable about any potential liability that may arise from a firearm related incident should it become discovered?

Latest posts

Top Bottom