putting it into numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What makes this one different is that its only the third mass shooting since the 80's involving multiple shooters. The rest are single disturbed individuals if the talking heads quoting that are correct.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would you happen to have any data or studies on how the media coverage of these influences copycats?

Shepard Smith was ranting today and had talked non-stop for several hours all the while not having a single known fact other than there were some that were dead and they didn't even have that for a good period of time. And yet there he was blasting it across the entire world. After a while he was getting pissed that the cops weren't saying anything. He was going on and on and on about all the things they didn't know and listed them out. His sarcasm was unmistakable. I was like..really? Why don't you just go ahead and call it out on air that all other crazies should watch and take this for inspiration. *facepalm*

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you happen to have any data or studies on how the media coverage of these influences copycats?...
I've talked to several people that have attempted this, with no success. Too many methodological hurdles to quantify anything reliably...although we're now having enough shootings that a reasonable sample size might be available now or soon. Media influence is crazy complicated to track and measure in a reliable and valid way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've talked to several people that have attempted this, with no success. Too many methodological hurdles to quantify anything reliably...although we're now having enough shootings that a reasonable sample size might be available now or soon. Media influence is crazy complicated to track and measure in a reliable and valid way.

Tough to track, but copycats do happen.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough to track, but copycats do happen.
Sure. But, given the wide range of "causes" of shootings, many of them working together to "cause" the event, it's rare to nail down copycat as "the" cause. Copycats seem to be the vast minority of cases in regard to understanding all shootings. The problem is dealing with the effect of time; that is, how long lasting are the media effects that affect shootings? There's a lot of causes due to person (e.g., personality, mentality, biology, emotion, social status, etc.) and a lot of causes due to environment (e.g., social pressures, work issues, relationship issues, political issues, religious issues, media influence, etc.). All these things interact in unique ways to produce behavior (e.g., shooting people), and partialing out the individual effect of media is nearly impossible in most cases.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone else think this whole mass shooting craze is going to continue to spiral out of control and lead to MAJOR changes in our national identity and response?

I have little doubt there is going to be more powerful pushing to restrict gun rights in America over the next few years, and I think alot of the general-public sheeple are going to get behind it.

If you think an Aussie-style ban can't happen here, I'd have to disagree. It's really pathetic and really discouraging.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've stated this in several threads, and I'll re-state it. If we want to protect gun-rights, we had better make friends with liberals (and everyone else, too) and have serious talks about this issue. Alienating liberals, especially now, is the most dangerous thing we can do. Right or wrong, change is coming, and you want to have a seat at the decision table.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure. But, given the wide range of "causes" of shootings, many of them working together to "cause" the event, it's rare to nail down copycat as "the" cause. Copycats seem to be the vast minority of cases in regard to understanding all shootings. The problem is dealing with the effect of time; that is, how long lasting are the media effects that affect shootings? There's a lot of causes due to person (e.g., personality, mentality, biology, emotion, social status, etc.) and a lot of causes due to environment (e.g., social pressures, work issues, relationship issues, political issues, religious issues, media influence, etc.). All these things interact in unique ways to produce behavior (e.g., shooting people), and partialing out the individual effect of media is nearly impossible in most cases.
Like it or not, social media is the main issue. I can elaborate later. Leo press release coming on about Ca shooting

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you combat something like this, short of taking away all guns? Seriously... how do you stop ideological extremists of any type who are willing to die in order to kill and take others with them, just to make a statement?

What was it, Minority Report, where they had the thought police to prevent future crime?

Latest posts

Top Bottom