putting it into numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How so? Look at the compliance of the magazine restrictions in CT, NY and the new one in CA. You will find complete non-compliance with those laws (statistically speaking), I don't think a single magazine was surrendered to authorities through the amnesty period in CA. What's being harmed?
I'm talking about losing gun rights, and not in the short-term. What will the landscape look like in 50 or 100 years. What do we need to do now to protect the future of gun rights? We need a strategy that will be successful long-term, which will require different thinking than one focused on the short-term.

The recent voting down of additional gun restrictions contradicts your premise that additional restrictions are inevitable, YukonGlocker. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/senate-gop-votes-terrorist-gun-bill-article-1.2454448

Looking at the larger picture, politicians are impotent to reduce gun crime by restricting access to guns. Three hundred million guns in private hands negate the impact of even totally outlawing the sale of new guns.

Lots of pro 2A gun facts can be found at http://americangunfacts.com/
Again, I'm referring to the long-term. And I'm not saying gun restrictions are inevitable. I'm saying some kind of change is inevitable, and I hope we can address the problem outside of gun control (e.g., social issues, mental health, etc.).

I'm not "stuck" on anything but the numbers. If the numbers are correct, then so be it.
You started this thread with numbers, I'm just adding to it.
I absolutely believe the social issues should be addressed, but not by a commie idiot like Sanders.
Let's start with LBJ, and work our way through history to correctly address the social issues that have put this country where it's at today.
How do you propose we address the underlying social issues? And you've already noted that some of those disproportionally affect black people more than white people, so that needs to be in the plan (unless, of course, ethnicity really doesn't matter).

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you propose we address the underlying social issues? And you've already noted that some of those disproportionally affect black people more than white people, so that needs to be in the plan (unless, of course, ethnicity really doesn't matter).

There is no addressing the underlying social issues. Sorry to be a downer, but the bottom line is, it's not acceptable to point out the emperor's new clothes in America today. Things will have to become unsustainable and come crashing down before anything will change substantially. It just won't happen. People WILL NOT honestly address the issues of lack of personal responsibility and will continue to blame anything and everything BUT that.

Until honesty becomes more important than political correctness, NOTHING will change. Not for the better, anyways.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree.

No need to be a sorry. I appreciate your opinion, even if we disagree.

I think they are already unsustainable.

That's my point... I don't think our current culture will ALLOW us to properly address the social issues. They would rather see the ship sink while the band plays than to admit the real problems.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We need to shame people who steal and do violence. As it is, in some circles, being a thug is an aspiration; that behavior should be shamed and pointed out as dishonorable.
We're not going to get that kind of leadership from anywhere I can see.

People have to want to change, but right now there's no incentive. We can say better education and more jobs, but people have to want to go to school and LEARN, not show what a bad ass they can be in class.
And any kind of job needs to be seen as honorable and worth doing well, and not a reason to demand an unreasonable wage.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm talking about losing gun rights, and not in the short-term. What will the landscape look like in 50 or 100 years. What do we need to do now to protect the future of gun rights? We need a strategy that will be successful long-term, which will require different thinking than one focused on the short-term.

When you slowly bleed your gun rights with those accorded to us by the Constitution of the United States of America, you end up with none.

Again, I'm referring to the long-term. And I'm not saying gun restrictions are inevitable. I'm saying some kind of change is inevitable, and I hope we can address the problem outside of gun control (e.g., social issues, mental health, etc.).

The Constitution of the United States of America did not take into account any social issues. It clearly says....shall not be infringed. Social issues are not addressed, nor should they be. Discussions outside of these few words are what the liberals want, so as to erode the 2nd amendment.

The 2nd Amendment relies on the citizens of the United States of America to defend it. Foreign or Domestic.

Countless Americans of ALL ethnicities have died protecting it. The social issues of today are only the descendant of those instituted in the 60's that forced the break-up of the American Family unit by a certain political class so they can use them to further their agenda's of social slaves that rely on handouts and freebees.

I've addressed this ^^ above, but also add the caveat, that is not all the black population that is contributing to the majority of gun violence, easily researched in the FBI data. I just brought out the #1 because you asked for data.

There is no addressing the underlying social issues. Sorry to be a downer, but the bottom line is, it's not acceptable to point out the emperor's new clothes in America today. Things will have to become unsustainable and come crashing down before anything will change substantially. It just won't happen. People WILL NOT honestly address the issues of lack of personal responsibility and will continue to blame anything and everything BUT that.

Until honesty becomes more important than political correctness, NOTHING will change. Not for the better, anyways.

I totally agree with this. Because a neighbor saw middle eastern men coming and going, along with an abnormal package delivery, she was suspicious, but because she was afraid to be labeled a racial profiler, she did not report it to the police. 14 people died and 21 were injured because of political correctness.
A kid of middle eastern descent brought an object to school for show and tell. The teacher didn't' know what it was, so reported it. It turned out to be a home made clock with a lot of wires and other objects inside.
The school and the teacher are now plaintiffs in a 15 million dollar law suit by the family. Ostupid praised the kid and Quatar gave him a scholarship. Meanwhile, 50 people including police officers were shown the device and ALL said it looked like a bomb. The older sister had some school issues a couple of years earlier along the same lines. Was this a set up to further political correctness? I don't know, but it sure seems like that family had a plan.

I'm with Dennis - the US has been "addressing social issues" since at least 1965 with metric-tons of $$$ and it has been to no effect. Chicago data are simply a microcosm of what can be observed with the naked eyeball in nearly any urban metro area in the country. Teachers can tell story upon story of repeatedly and unsuccessfully trying to get the unwilling to learn and find improvement in their circumstances through education. The numbers are clearly running the wrong direction for those who simply want to live life in their homes, raise a family in secure surroundings, and achieve some level of financial success. It's really no different from what the Founding Fathers expressed in the Declaration of Independence when they stated that the King was getting in the way of the people of the colonies realizing their goals in the New World. Today, the King/authorities propose to limit the freedom of the law-abiding in order to control those they've not been able to control through other methods. Most of us on this website are saying that dog don't hunt!

I'm not "stuck" on anything but the numbers. If the numbers are correct, then so be it.
You started this thread with numbers, I'm just adding to it.
I absolutely believe the social issues should be addressed, but not by a commie idiot like Sanders.
Let's start with LBJ, and work our way through history to correctly address the social issues that have put this country where it's at today.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All it takes is the Supreme Court to re-interpret the 2nd Amendment, and we're fu!cked, no matter what it means to you. We need a different strategy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All it takes is the Supreme Court to re-interpret the 2nd Amendment, and we're fu!cked, no matter what it means to you. We need a different strategy.

How do you propose that? The nominations to the Supreme Court are by the administration. I've never understood that, as the supreme court is supposed to be the third security to keep our constitution on line, yet its an appointment by Potus subject to the political party in strength at the time. That doesn't make sense to be a part of checks and balances.

Latest posts

Top Bottom