putting it into numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know full well how that works. I don't understand how the framers could have missed that.

They didn't. They had congress involved in confirming the prez's nomination. And congress used to understand their role, unlike now. Now all that is required is a resume and congress thinks they have to approve. Loretta Lynch's confirmation is an example of the lunacy, but just look at all of Obama's SCOTUS appointments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Irish Democracy has nothing specifically to do with drugs. Pot legalization in Colorado was used as an example of the people of a state and the state itself successfully ignoring federal laws against pot.

The people of Connecticut successfully ignored the laws requiring registration of ARs. Police are not arresting anyone violating the law there to my knowledge.

The secret to making Irish Democracy succeed is getting a large enough group of citizens to disobey a law. If people decide to ignore stop signs tomorrow, there would be nothing law enforcement could do about it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know that the branches of govt. have to be separated. They do have to have checks and balances, and Supreme Court nominations do. Where does it say they have to exhibit separation of powers?

This is what I understand.

Separation of powers is a political doctrine originating in the writings of Montesquieu in The Spirit of the Laws where he urged for a constitutional government with three separate branches of government. Each of the three branches would have defined abilities to check the powers of the other branches. This idea was called separation of powers. This philosophy heavily influenced the writing of the United States Constitution, according to which the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches of the United States government are kept distinct in order to prevent abuse of power. This United States form of separation of powers is associated with a system of checks and balances.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I understand.

Separation of powers is a political doctrine originating in the writings of Montesquieu in The Spirit of the Laws where he urged for a constitutional government with three separate branches of government. Each of the three branches would have defined abilities to check the powers of the other branches. This idea was called separation of powers. This philosophy heavily influenced the writing of the United States Constitution, according to which the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches of the United States government are kept distinct in order to prevent abuse of power. This United States form of separation of powers is associated with a system of checks and balances.
It seems to me that required Senate confirmation of Presidential appointments is properly in check. If the Senate isn't doing their part, then that's not on the President.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Freedom or Safety? That is the debate.
Right now I'm just filtering through all the data I can find. I posted that last link only because of the impressively done visualizations (one of the most challenging parts of presenting data to people). Also, the lever actions caught my attention.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The graphics are high-level propaganda. By focusing on some narrow aspect they give the illusion of being scientific but actually are an appeal to emotion.

Violence is repulsive and sickening but has been with us a long time. When I read about the America of Mark Twain and Abraham Lincoln I find widespread accounts of murder. By pretending that violence is something new, gun control advocates are preying on ignorance and squeamishness.

Latest posts

Top Bottom