Quail hunting FT.Sill Jan 7,8,9th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on coming from San antonio that weekend in Jan and will bring my young pup 7mo..weim to do some quail hunting I am trying to get a forecast on the quail on ft sill any areas would be appreciated as I have a young dog that really hasnt hunted yet...If I can take a guest and you have a experienced dog I wont mind....anyone heard of how hunting on ft.sill for quail is going so far....

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Mitch, welcome to the forum. The southwest report is spotty. I hunted around Snyder a few times 15 years ago and the hunting was great. That was 15 years ago though. It was good enough that i wish i had a chance to go back !
Northwest is looking decent. The dog and i might head that way tommorow. Be sure and let us know how you do.

mitch

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks yes the same for me I hunted fT. sill and surronding areas probably from 1990 to 1995 and it was great back then but know OK is suffering from drought issues past 2 years such as texas in relation to quail numbers. I just remember back then OK was so hunter friendly you could actually knock on a door and ask if u could hunt someone's land and usually they would say yes just leave it how you found it...try that in Texas and the first thing you get is that will be $500.00.....LOL I am fortunate to be Active Duty Army and get to use Federal land so I might as well take advamtage of it I am thinking. although do not really want to drive the 5 hrs....but for my pup to get on some wild birds it will be worth it...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I was in your area, your would have me in your back pocket.
I'm in North Central Ok with a good dog that needs a place to hunt. We are normally a hot spot for upland game, but this year it sucks to the worst....

mitch

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is why I am on here trying to find out basically a quail report for that area I would hate to drive 5 hrs to run around the woods for 3 days and get no no birds...LOL maybe not bonding time with a young pup is good for the soul.....LOL

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on coming from San antonio that weekend in Jan and will bring my young pup 7mo..weim to do some quail hunting I am trying to get a forecast on the quail on ft sill any areas would be appreciated as I have a young dog that really hasnt hunted yet...If I can take a guest and you have a experienced dog I wont mind....anyone heard of how hunting on ft.sill for quail is going so far....

I have two German Shorthairs that can work with your dog. Do you have your dog whoa trained?

mitch

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nooooo way to early for a weim...but the good news is on a field trial field during some training he honored and backed another's dogs point.....In the weim world he wont mature for another yr at least and is not ready for that yet...I would definitely not mind running him with your dogs though if you dont mind basically sounds like you have two well trained dogs and they are the best trainers of pups anyways...Yrs ago I trained, let me rephrase that My buddy had a GSH and we let him (Dog)train my Pointer to stay within walking gun range...LOL

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I beleive that Ft. Sill has a limit of 5 birds per day because the population is so low. In the past few years I havent kicked up any coveys while deer hunting.

My computer is acting up, but try this website and look under the publications and forms and they will list the bag limits about half way down.
http://sill-www.army.mil/

Here is the link to the cannoneer which always has the wildside article in it that covers what is happeneing out there for hunting and fishing.
http://www.swoknews.com/main.asp?SectionID=22&TM=14127.86
a new edition is put out every thursday. Your best bet for getting information is to give them a call at 580-442-3453.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions shoot me a pm

david

Latest posts

Top Bottom