Question about a speeding ticket....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy cow! Talk about the tin hat folks. Many municipal courts offer will put you on a defered sentence so the ticket doesn't go on your record. If you go 6 months without violating another law then the ticket doesn't go on your record. The extra fees you're paying are supposed to cover court costs associated with the administration of your deferment period. It's a fairly common practice in small town Oklahoma and is legal . Lots of people do it cause they don't want it on their record.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happens all the time in small towns all over OK & TX, but usually it's just $50 extra not $150 extra.

If you go sit before the lawyer from the big town up the Highway that serves as judge and tell him you'll pay if he'll reduce the probation window to 30 days, I'll bet he'll take it. From what I understand, it only counts against you if you get caught "there" again if it's a city charge. It will depend on the city.

It's a go fast tax. I just pay it and go on.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, OKC has a similar deal going on, but in this case the choice was between $190 ticket, or $140 admin fee for deferment if I take a $30 driver safety class. I think you are eligible every 3 years.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, OKC has a similar deal going on, but in this case the choice was between $190 ticket, or $140 admin fee for deferment if I take a $30 driver safety class. I think you are eligible every 3 years.

Once upon a time you didn't have to pay a "deferment" fee in OKC if you went to class. Did that too about 25 years ago.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drive a lot of miles in a company car, a lot of miles.

I can't tell you the last time I got pulled over by the hwy patrol. As a matter of fact my wife won't let me drive out on the hwy cause "you go to damn slow", but I get pulled over a couple times a year in little towns like Ninnekah, where they sit out on the divided hwy 5 or 6 miles from their city center and write speeding tickets to people that missed their 3 speed limit drop signs. Newcastle & Blanchard are a couple more you need to watch out for. Asher is bad one. Coyle & Langston are places to pay attention as well.

If you're speeding down main street of Ninnekah or Rush Springs, right thru their city center you deserve a speeding ticket. If they are sitting next to a 35 MPH speed limit sign where they've dropped the limit from 65 to 35 as quickly as the law allows, out along the divided hwy that's a couple miles, or 12 in the case of Newcastle, from their city center, that's BS, and it should be against the law for them to write speeding tickets on a stretch of roadway that they don't maintain. I'm respectful, cause I'm ex LE, but it's BS and I tell 'em it's BS, cause it is.

I'm never more than 7 over out on the hwy, but when they drop the limit 30 mph in the distance I can hit a 4 iron, that'll get ya a pretty hefty citation.

cichlid-dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
State law states if it is under 10 you will never see it on your DMV record and your insurance will never be able to pull it or see it either. As for your insurance they might not pull your DMV for quite awhile do to the cost involved. We can get an instant pull on the record but the cost to pull it are a joke if you think of the number of policy holders a company has. Now if you seriously F Up like get in an accident then you can be screwed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom