question about background checks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should assume that all information that is transmitted electronically is being stored and is accessible to multiple parties other than you.

The NICS system isn’t foolproof. Look at how many firearms were purchased legally and resold to individuals that couldn’t pass a NICS check. If one were the suspicious type, you might even believe the gov’t agencies responsible have allowed this to take place.
I will not mention the city or county involved but some oath takers do not even follow what they are suppose to enforce.
Family(big fish, a lot of scandal and money owed to Gov) in a lawsuit over land had one son in law try and get the other son in law in some major doo doo.

One mills 80% lowers, one is/ was a LEO.
80 guy sold at request of the LEO a FEW complete rifles and handguns with no numbers over the last couple years.
Family thought that getting the 80 guy in jail was the most logical way to end the dispute and possibly avoid paying stolen money back to the other side of the family. So the LEO that purchased the said weapons calls local sheriff, they raid 80 guys house and confiscate multiple 80% lowers that have been completed and they book him.
DA wants the “big fish” so 80 guy gets off free, judge says since “family”, charges dropped. LEO lost his job when his chief found out what he did but still didn’t go to jail and they couldn’t prosecute because he doesn’t live in the county/city he worked in.
So both guys did something very illegal and should be doing time IMO but I’m not the DA.
About as real as you can get showing how messed up the system is.

It’s all about the money, not a damn thing more.

And yes, sadly this is a true event and even sadder that a LEO was knowingly buying weapons that are not suppose to be sold.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me think about it, no. First off, information on your phone is not only visible to you. Apple for example has access to your files and have started "looking" at them for all intensive purposes. Android it goes without saying, so at a minimum Apple and or Google would have access to any info you put on your phone. Next is the app itself. Who develops it? Most free apps gather all sorts of information from you whether or not Apple or Google says it's "safe." So, what info would it have? Whatever you put into it plus location within 3 meters. Does the app grab telephone numbers? Does it take images? does it access your photo's and files? Apps need to be monetized somehow, and .99 cent purchase just doesn't cover it. Remember, we are living in the world of "1984." Orwell however never envisioned the TV, mic and camera to be in our pockets and hands nor did he ever dream of all the data and information that device is capable of gathering. 5G is not just fast, 4G and 4GLTE believe it or not is just as fast. The difference is 5G can handle many more data streams. Personally I have been leaving my phone at home more and more when possible.

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will not mention the city or county involved but some oath takers do not even follow what they are suppose to enforce.
Family(big fish, a lot of scandal and money owed to Gov) in a lawsuit over land had one son in law try and get the other son in law in some major doo doo.

One mills 80% lowers, one is/ was a LEO.
80 guy sold at request of the LEO a FEW complete rifles and handguns with no numbers over the last couple years.
Family thought that getting the 80 guy in jail was the most logical way to end the dispute and possibly avoid paying stolen money back to the other side of the family. So the LEO that purchased the said weapons calls local sheriff, they raid 80 guys house and confiscate multiple 80% lowers that have been completed and they book him.
DA wants the “big fish” so 80 guy gets off free, judge says since “family”, charges dropped. LEO lost his job when his chief found out what he did but still didn’t go to jail and they couldn’t prosecute because he doesn’t live in the county/city he worked in.
So both guys did something very illegal and should be doing time IMO but I’m not the DA.
About as real as you can get showing how messed up the system is.

It’s all about the money, not a damn thing more.

And yes, sadly this is a true event and even sadder that a LEO was knowingly buying weapons that are not suppose to be sold.
I always wondered why a lot of the tulsa tax collectors are living up here in Rogers County. Here I thought it was they viewed tulsa as being just as shi++y as I did...🤣🤣🤣

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wondered why a lot of the tulsa tax collectors are living up here in Rogers County. Here I thought it was they viewed tulsa as being just as shi++y as I did...🤣🤣🤣
But, but, but...

...there have only been 25 people respond to the question.

Make it 26. I'd say an emphatic NO as well.

Last edited:

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
actually make that 27 - just came up in a coffee shop discussion and I thought I would put it out here to see what the response was - got pretty much what I expected -- the guy who tossed it out DOES own and trade a few guns but was looking for some sort of middle ground - and I wouldn't mind having ability/choice to easily verify -- surprised no one took issue with potential confrontation with those who fail the check or if the gun shows up stolen - to me that was a much bigger worry than a street seller asking me for some sort of check or verification

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never had a concern about doing the background process when buying a gun. On the other hand, I have enjoyed the flexibility/freedom of being able to buy/sell a gun to with no knowledge of where it's been/goes. I have rarely left a sale with any question in mind about the person I had a transaction with.

Given that, I think I would not mind having an app on my phone that would allow a seller or a buyer to confidentially enter very basic info ie: Name, SSN and DOB that would provide an immediate "yes - no" answer. Might also add the SN of the gun to receive a "reported stolen" answer where it applies.

Believe me, I am not one to relinquish ANY of my precious rights - BUT I think something like this might get ahead of more complex restrictions on personal weapon sales and more importantly deter thieves from attempting to sell guns via the very loose system we currently enjoy. Something like this might even expand allow sales across state lines.

try to assume this information would not be stored in any device or central location - like the current checks are supposed to be

Any thoughts appreciated
There’s no way in Hades the majority of any of us would give a stranger our Social Security number for some app that is not secure. Just look at all these other states that are releasing peoples personal private information that have concealed carry licenses or registered weapons. This app sounds like some type of Nigerian scam. The most I would do is let the person I’m doing a transaction with look at my drivers license but I wouldn’t even let them make a copy or take a picture.

The answer is Hail Feck no. I wouldn’t do a private business transaction like that with some app that will more than likely be hacked or used with all our private information like the Social Security number or the firearms serial number to be leaked out to the public. The odds for miss use with some app that will be high. I can’t stress how opposed I am to that

Latest posts

Top Bottom