Question about Canning ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have SEVERAL Smithfield pork tenderloins that in different marinades, plus some ham slices AND 1 pound hams that are at their BBD. All the meat is perfectly fine BUT I am out of freezer space until Cesar can get here and I expect to get several boxes of produce this evening. 😳

Can I can this meat?? I have read conflicting articles but my google-foo is weak in this regard and I'm a little skittish ...

Thanks guys ...

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of the time when canning meat it goes in raw and gets cooked while processing. Do you own a pressure canner? I think it’s a must when canning meat. Now think on this. Canning isn’t going to extend the shelf life of anything. If you think about it the meat you’re wanting to preserve has already been processed once and has reached the end of its shelf life. Processing it again isn’t going to magically make it good for another year.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
if the tenderloin is marinated; i would dehydrate it if you can. that would make fine pork jerky. slice it and dry it; then can or vacuum seal. even not "sealed" all the way in the can it will last a long time.

the other pork is likely too fat heavy, but you might be able to dry it successfully.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is shelf life of frozen cured meat?. If not freezer burnt then yes it will extend the shelf life being canned.
My mistake. Didn’t realize he had frozen the meat or that freezing was even mentioned. You are clearly the expert and I’ll defer to your experience and knowledge.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t think I said it was. I said processing it twice isn’t going to extend its shelf life. IMO

I didn't think it would. What it will do is get it out of my freezer ... I was really hoping to freeze dry it but until the electrician gets here and does his thing I don't like running it. Out in the garage it just gets too hot and causes it to have to work awfully damn hard to do it's thing.

The meat is in good shape but I'm either gonna have to repackage it or reprocess it to avoid freezer burn and If rather can it if it is safe to do so. Or ... In the alternative I guess I could find a bean and ham soup recipe and can the **** outta some these beans around here. 🤷

Latest posts

Top Bottom