Question about homemade ARs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no gun registration required. Further, lets consider for a moment, whether we actually believe the .gov is going to come out to each of our homes and search them, then require us to register anything they find, or if they will somehow notify the public that all guns must be registered or banned and turned in. How in the world will that ever be enforced?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/general.html

Q: Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?
With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the run down on a home made AR. You can build one entirely from scratch as long as it follows the law i.e. 16" barrel, overall length, and semi auto. You can make a hundred of them if you so like but you can't just go sell them. My understanding is that if you have one and say ten years down the road don't like it anymore then you can sell it. The imported parts clause is for AKs and such BUT it can be worked around by using the required number of US parts. I wasn't really talking about door to door confiscation. Say I go to the range with my legal homemade AR after some sort of ban passes and someone there calls the cops because of my evil black gun. Police show up and notice some way or another that there is no serial. What's next?

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think you could legally make a firearm without filing a Form 1 with the ATF.

It's surprising to me how often this question gets answered on this forum. Also surprising is how many people think there's a gun registry. I guess it's just all those cop TV shows based in freedom hating commie states like California and New York.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's surprising to me how often this question gets answered on this forum. Also surprising is how many people think there's a gun registry. I guess it's just all those cop TV shows based in freedom hating commie states like California and New York.

There is just alot of misinformation out there on the subject, not everyone is going to sit down and read that garbled crap called gun law lol.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the run down on a home made AR. You can build one entirely from scratch as long as it follows the law i.e. 16" barrel, overall length, and semi auto. You can make a hundred of them if you so like but you can't just go sell them. My understanding is that if you have one and say ten years down the road don't like it anymore then you can sell it. The imported parts clause is for AKs and such BUT it can be worked around by using the required number of US parts. I wasn't really talking about door to door confiscation. Say I go to the range with my legal homemade AR after some sort of ban passes and someone there calls the cops because of my evil black gun. Police show up and notice some way or another that there is no serial. What's next?

Well after all the trouble the officer has been through already by coming out there and since the guns are already basically illegal to own anyway my guess is they'd go all Tommy Tough Nuts and take it anyway and tell you to go call a lawyer to get it back.

Moving on to the next question. The guy does make 15 of them, but he gives me one(illegal I know), then I claim that I made it myself during time off at work over the last 3 years because I have access to everything I would need to make one. How do they prove that I didn't in fact make it myself?

Give all your friends the technical prints who have the mechanical inclination to actually be able to convince someone they could have made it. How would anyone be able to prove they DIDNT make it themselves?

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after all the trouble the officer has been through already by coming out there and since the guns are already basically illegal to own anyway my guess is they'd go all Tommy Tough Nuts and take it anyway and tell you to go call a lawyer to get it back.

Moving on to the next question. The guy does make 15 of them, but he gives me one(illegal I know), then I claim that I made it myself during time off at work over the last 3 years because I have access to everything I would need to make one. How do they prove that I didn't in fact make it myself?

Give all your friends the technical prints who have the mechanical inclination to actually be able to convince someone they could have made it. How would anyone be able to prove they DIDNT make it themselves?

That's if the future ban makes them outright illegal, i'm playing off of the 94-04 ban right now. Good point on the second part but I doubt anyone would come snooping if there wasn't an active ban on.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...but I doubt anyone would come snooping if there wasn't an active ban on.

I am playing "worst case scenario" here and assuming all AR's are straight up illegal to own. But arent they "modern sporting rifles" now? So that would mean you could make one, if you could in fact make one. I know the solid models are floating around out there, hell I've got some of them. Wouldn't take much to cut one from billet in a HAAS high speed machining cell if it came to that. Might not be all teflon coated but it would be at least be cerakoated. That is something that can be done in a household oven. The only thing I think would be tough for me to complete is rifling the barrel.

If there were a ban and they were made illegal to own couldnt you just hand over your lower and keep everything else? Thats the only thing that is technically a firearm. Would leave a lot less to "make".

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR's can be milled, but why not just build an MP5? Much easier, no milling machine needed, only a 20T press, and a welder. Possible to build a 308, 223, or 9mm... HK roller locks are where it's at!

Latest posts

Top Bottom