Question about homemade ARs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR's can be milled, but why not just build an MP5? Much easier, no milling machine needed, only a 20T press, and a welder. Possible to build a 308, 223, or 9mm... HK roller locks are where it's at!

Are the prints/solid models to the MP5 available to the general public like they are for the AR? I suppose if you had access to a 3D scanner you could create your own solid, but I dont have access to one. Hence, my preference for the AR-15 which I already have solids for.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the prints/solid models to the MP5 available to the general public like they are for the AR? I suppose if you had access to a 3D scanner you could create your own solid, but I dont have access to one. Hence, my preference for the AR-15 which I already have solids for.

Kits just a matter of bending a flat. But don't let that make it sound awesome. I have over 2 grand wrapped up in mine. So obviously not fiscally sound for what's being discussed here.

You have to get a demilled gun (torch cut), receiver flat (and a bending jig), and enough 922 compliant parts to make it legal even if you don't serial it.

Its a pain. If you have a mill, the AR is the easier route.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is sort of what I was thinking, especially if I was able to retain the internals and upper parts as mentioned above.

Completely. If you get a 80% lower and you have the means to take it to 100%, the rest is just like building a standard AR. The HKs you are looking at around $1.5k and up for the demilled gun, $200 for the received flat, more money for US made parts, $300 for jig if you don't know someone who has one. Plus, since the receiver is more complex than the AR lower, a lot of time making sure its aligned correctly and functions right.

Like I said.... Major PITA.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kits just a matter of bending a flat. But don't let that make it sound awesome. I have over 2 grand wrapped up in mine. So obviously not fiscally sound for what's being discussed here.

You have to get a demilled gun (torch cut), receiver flat (and a bending jig), and enough 922 compliant parts to make it legal even if you don't serial it.

Its a pain. If you have a mill, the AR is the easier route.

I'll differ with you a little bit. The hardest part is pressing the barrel. With the Jig's available for the HK receivers, you can bend your flat without much problems as long as you start with a good flat (LSC) and can weld. The build process is very well documented and help can be found locally thanks to some outstanding HK smiths.

A german parts kit is not needed... 922 isn't an issue. American receive, american barrel, american bolt carrier group, american firing ping, american forearm/stock/grip frame. Only required german parts would be a german trigger pack unless you could pick up one from PTR. I don't think anyone looking to build their own gun would be concerned about the need all german parts like the guys on HKPro would do...

I look at setting up a CNC mill and everything involved and find it next to impossible to do. Anyone who knows HK's know easy it is to get a registered sear for a the fun Go-Switch, however you can never do that with any AR without a DIAS and those aren't easy to find.

Before the boating accident, my HK's outnumbered my AR's...

Latest posts

Top Bottom