Question for you guys who have spent time in Afghanistan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cousin that is what can only be described as one hell of an American. He is currently deployed across the pond. He is a SSGT in the 45th but far too proud to ask for anything. I feel the need to help him and his family in any way I can. I was fortunate enough to be in the Marine Corps in the late 80s when absolutely nothing happened but he is on his third tour. What was there that you folks “especially with families” could not get or do but really wanted to? Also, what could you not get in theater but wished you could get your hands on? CR123, Bible, Surefire, skivvies, socks, iPod..... anything, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was there back in '07, we truthfully didn't want for much materially...support and stuff from/related to home mattered most. Hometown newspapers and recent magazines were good distractions. The contents of the boxes didn't matter as much as getting the box itself.

Edited to add: Chemical handwarmers were a lifesaver when pulling turret duty....hard to come by, so with winter coming those might be appreciated.

cheech_029

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beef Jerky, vacuum sealed home made cookies & candy (anything home made really) and baby wipes.

All of these work wonders when you're in the field, probably not quite as much when you're near PX/BX/AAFES.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We always got tons of jerky from the supplemental rat packs (as well as those nasty energy bars....we called it pocket chow) and wipes from the hygiene packets....but mail itself was hard to come by. Depending on weather we could go two or three weeks without mail. Not long compared to some, but an eternity compared to how fast the guys in Bagram and Kandahar got it!

AAA batteries were scarce sometimes...for headlamps and stuff. Not sure what the new surefire helmet light runs off of. But we were never short on 123's.

This thread's gettin' me all sentimental and stuff......

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Depends on where he's at. As long as he's not remote he has access to most everything he needs. When we went in they dumped us out of the back of the C130 with a pallet of water and said "Your tents will be here in 2 weeks". We had nothing. By the end of 6 months we were in tents with hot food (it was warm anyways, not sure if it was really food). Next time thru we had hard billets, 2 chow halls, 3 gyms, a BX and the MP's were writing speeding tickets for going faster than 15 down Disney! Now no tents exist, new buildings everywhere. It's a whole new city, courtesy of the American taxpayer.

onwmed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Snuff, jerky, handwarmers, loose tobacco.....the folks have already hit on all this. Snuff and loose tobacco can be used as currency if your cousin doesn't partake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom