Question for you world travelers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Spain right now. Get enough cash to get you to your destination, then use local bank ATMs to get whatever you need. I find credit cards most useful, don't carry more cash than you need for a day or two.

Personal space isn't the same in Europe as it is in the US, in cities people will crowd you because it doesn't bother them to be right up in your grill. Makes pick pockets and theft a real problem in tourist areas. People gonna do people things. Credit cards are good protection and companies like Visa/Mastercard are pretty much universally accepted, I've had less success with Discover but they are better now than they used to be. Call your card companies and bank prior to let them know your travel plans, otherwise they may deny your card for fear of fraud.

Basically exchange rates at the airport are the biggest ripoffs. I had to fly over for an emergency so I didn't have time to get to my bank for some Euros before I left and had to use the airport exchanges for taxi fare, but only enough to get me somewhere else.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to buy some Euros from someplace in Tulsa. Who (bank) has them or can order them at the best rate without being a current customer? I don't travel much so I'm pretty clueless.
Try your bank. Chase sells foreign currency at the most current exchange rate with no commission for Chase customers.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in Spain right now. Get enough cash to get you to your destination, then use local bank ATMs to get whatever you need. I find credit cards most useful, don't carry more cash than you need for a day or two.

Personal space isn't the same in Europe as it is in the US, in cities people will crowd you because it doesn't bother them to be right up in your grill. Makes pick pockets and theft a real problem in tourist areas. People gonna do people things. Credit cards are good protection and companies like Visa/Mastercard are pretty much universally accepted, I've had less success with Discover but they are better now than they used to be. Call your card companies and bank prior to let them know your travel plans, otherwise they may deny your card for fear of fraud.

Basically exchange rates at the airport are the biggest ripoffs. I had to fly over for an emergency so I didn't have time to get to my bank for some Euros before I left and had to use the airport exchanges for taxi fare, but only enough to get me somewhere else.
Of course the choice is yours, but you might want to rethink your use of that Discover Card:

https://www.reuters.com/business/discover-enable-tracking-purchases-gun-retailers-april-2023-02-17/

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My CU does not sell foreign currency. Chase only sells to current customers (according to their cust. service).
Any chance your CU knows of another CU that does? Just thinking there may be a shared branch CU.

What IS Shared Branching? Shared Branching is a national network of credit unions from all over the country that share facilities to give members thousands of convenient locations to perform transactions just as if they were at their home credit union.

Latest posts

Top Bottom