Questions about deer feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got her hung up yesterday similar to Tjones method, but its clear that I'm going to need a come-along or hand-winch (I replaced the hand-winch on my little Bass Tracker when I got it and am seriously pissed at myself for throwing the old one away now - that was genius man).

I didn't put up the pulleys because I didn't have enough extra cable to mount them, so I've got some work to do next time I replace the corn (cables are just stretched over the branches and tied down to a big hook on the side of the tree).

With it going off twice a day for about 15 secs (and spitting out approx 1Lb of corn for each 5-sec interval), and I got a little less than 40Lbs of corn in the bucket, I should be out there every 5-6 days (I'll go out early the first time just to make sure I don't run out). So I'll probably get it down to about 10secs and stretch it out to every 10 days.

Good smaller first-time feeder solution (I spent $55 on the feeder and went the extra $15 on the bucket because it was camo - I think I might have $10 in hardware with the cable and pulleys - if I can find a cheap hand-winch, I'll be in business for under $100) and I definitely appreciate everyone's help on this.

I'll post pics when I get out there again.

san408

Marksman
Reaction score
If your area has some trees then I have something you might give a try. A friend of my dad's told him to try this and it has worked for us.

Buy the big plastic jar of peanut butter, cut the bottom out of it, take the lid off and use a screw gun to screw the lid to a tree, top of lid toward tree obviously. Use a big washer, maybe a fender washer, under the screw. Screw the jar back onto the lid. You have to put it up in the tree a little, we put them a little higher thN chest height.

You will get 'coons on them, but we have had really good luck bringing in deer with three or four of these around the edge of a clearing that has a simple bucket of corn in the middle. I killed an eight point buck, a buddy shot a little six-point that I wish he would have let go, and we got 4 does off of this last year. It's cheap and easy to place/pickup.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So - its been a day short of a week and it had slightly more than half a can left in it when I went to check on it today. I've got it set to spit about 10 secs worth of corn out morning and night.

This thing is working out great (and when I was checking on it today, it spit out all over me, so despite coming home with pants and pockets full of corn, it was a pretty good test).

Having problems with hanging my winch on the tree, so I need to get that and the pulleys up, but for now, its working pretty darn well.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question- when you put up the feeder. Do you need to clear the ground around it or just let them forage thru the grass and leaves?

Latest posts

Top Bottom