Questions about deer feeders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well crap, I may have spoken too soon. I tried to order it from Midwest Hunters Outlet and the said it would get here around Nov 10th. I checked a few other places online and all were backordered or had to do the "ship from the manufacturer" and it would be just as long (guessing they're giving me a conservative estimate and it would get here sooner, but still - that's a week off at least).

So I hit up this place:

http://www.amazon.com/Kenco-Programming-Timer-Adjustable-Feeding/dp/B0000AVVKH

Waiting on an email to see if they have them in stock or if I have to pay more at some place else. Really want to get it by this weekend or early next week at best.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a moultrie 30 gallon for 88 bucks at atwoods a few weeks ago. Seems to be working good. It is programmable. I also had to buy a battery $7 and i got the solar panel $21. I also bought a salt block, the big white one, for 3 or 4 dollars. The deer are frequenting it, I hunted by it yesterday evening and it is now empty and there's not any corn on the ground. Didnt see any deer, but they've definitely been there.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine if you decide to put one out.

We have been using them at the ranch for years to attract hogs for shooting and trapping. If I had one recomendation it would be to use a 12 volt setup.. (if plans are to run solar panels)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, its late in the season, and you don't have anything to put out........don't worry about it.
its amazing how quick they can find it
If your close enough to your hunting area, just go and put 50 to 100 pounds of corn on the ground, put a camera on it if you have one and come back to hunt it when you want. its amazing how quick they can find it

You don't have to have some elaborate setup.
Now, if your like me and have to drive 45 miles one way, you might want to invest in a feeder.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tripod and control box setup.

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_CIMG0211.jpg
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_CIMG0213.jpg
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_CIMG0212.jpg
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_CIMG0214.jpg

Hanging setup.

ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_CIMG0216.jpg
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_CIMG0215.jpg
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_CIMG0217.jpg

I'll try and get some directions down on how I hung that one and start a new thread with it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kenco Smart Timer / Feeder came in Friday and I'm just now getting to put it together - probably going to put it out tonight.

How long do the 6v batteries typically last if I've got this set for 5-secs at the two times the photo-cell kicks off (I got the 4x long-lasting non-rechargeable kind)?

Here's what I've got so far:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Going to hang it with the pulleys from a tree and see how she works (only a 6.5gal bucket, so I'm not sure how often I'll have to re-fill - instructions say 5-secs throws approx 1Lb, but I don't know how much Lbs translates to Gals when it comes to Corn).

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to hang it with the pulleys from a tree and see how she works (only a 6.5gal bucket, so I'm not sure how often I'll have to re-fill - instructions say 5-secs throws approx 1Lb, but I don't know how much Lbs translates to Gals when it comes to Corn).

About 6.8 pounds per gallon.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got half a dozen corn feeders out, all 55 gal barrels on tripods, with Sunslinger motors on them and solar rechargers. Only thing I have had to do is to replace the AA batteries that run the clocks. Some are three years old and have the original 12V batteries in them. They are easy to set the timers, and you can set them to go off however often and as many times as you want, on whatever days you want, for as long as you want. I have had them going off twice a day, at dawn and bout 30 minutes before sundown. I am about to crank them up another notch and have them go off four times a day with shorter increments. The reason for that is, once they go off, the deer know the sound and pour out as soon as they go off. I was sittin there last weekend and there was not a deer around as far as I could tell. Feeder went off and within one minute there were 7 does and one small buck that was underneath the feeder. They quickly cleaned up the corn and wandered off. My buddy shot a wallhanger last year that did the same thing, held in the woods until the feeder went off, then was promptly underneath it. I agree that during the rut bucks are mostly concerened with breeding, but they do eat some. A feeder will do well to attract the does, which in turn bring the bucks, but it can bring in the bucks alone too. Even with acorns on the ground I still have a lot of activity around the feeders. It doesn't have to just be the coldest part of the year when there is nothing else to eat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom