Questions for LEO and or OHP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The law makes no mention of divided highways and or medians. Pull over and stop is all it says....YMMV on what each individual LEO would expect and/or ticket you for doing/not doing.

A. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of Section 12-218 of this act, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal or red flashing lights, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW

"On interstate highways, don't stop. Pull over into the right hand lane when it's safe to do so. Don't pull over into the median. "

http://www.okc.gov/safety/code_three/

"The emergency vehicle, whether it’s a fire truck, ambulance or police car, is actively trying to get to the site of an emergency. It is a law that the motoring public must yield to the emergency vehicle. Please move out of the way. The proper way to do this is to get into the right, outside lane if you are on a four-lane road such as U.S. 412. If it is only a two-lane road, such as U.S. 81, move over onto the shoulder."

http://enidnews.com/opinion/x2080079428/Tips-from-troopers-Properly-yielding-to-emergency-vehicles

OKTribalCop

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Section 11-405 - Operation of Vehicles on Approach of Authorized Emergency Vehicles
A. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of Section 12-218 of this act, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal or red flashing lights, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

B. This section shall not be construed to require a peace officer operating a police vehicle properly and lawfully in response to a crime in progress to use audible signals nor shall this section operate to relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=82296

Section 11-1108 - Following Fire Apparatus and Other Emergency Vehicles Prohibited
(a) The driver of any vehicle other than one on official business shall not follow any fire apparatus traveling in response to a fire alarm closer than five hundred (500) feet or drive into or park such vehicle within the block where fire apparatus has stopped in answer to a fire alarm.

(b) The driver of any vehicle other than one on official business shall not follow any emergency vehicle or shall not purposely drive to any location on a highway where an emergency exists which would interfere with the free movement of authorized emergency vehicles or any other traffic using the highway at that location. For the purpose of this subsection the definition of emergency shall include traffic accidents, airplane accidents, disasters, explosions, civil disturbances and (without limitation by the foregoing) any other related circumstances which tend to cause traffic congestion.

The purpose of this subsection is to eliminate sightseers and other persons who do not have official business at the scene of an emergency, and whose presence would tend to cause traffic congestion.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=82356

Section 11-314 - Driver of a Motor Vehicle Approaching a Stationary Emergency Vehicle
A. The driver of a motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle or a licensed Class AA wrecker that is displaying a flashing combination red or blue light or any combination of red or blue lights, shall:

1. If traveling on a highway that consists of two or more lanes that carry traffic in the same direction of travel as that of the driver, the driver shall proceed with due caution and shall, if possible and with due regard to the road, weather, and traffic conditions, change lanes into a lane that is not adjacent to the stationary authorized emergency vehicle or licensed Class AA wrecker; or if the driver is not able to change lanes or if to do so would be unsafe, the driver shall proceed with due caution and reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a safe speed for the existing road, weather, and traffic conditions; and

2. If traveling on a highway other than a highway described in paragraph 1 of this subsection, the driver shall proceed with due caution and reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a safe speed for the existing road, weather, and traffic conditions.

B. This section does not relieve the operator of a stationary authorized emergency vehicle or licensed Class AA wrecker from the consequences of reckless disregard for the safety of all persons and property upon the highway.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=391386

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the law here about yielding to emergency vehicles is taken way way overboard by the public. Like the OP posted, to the point of nearly causing more accidents.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just try and use common sense. If I may be in the way I move out of the way and stop if i can. I've always wondered what the law was for divided highways too,

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ambulances, fire trucks, and cop cars are all slower than my car. Why would I pull over? Especially when traffic in front of me is finally getting out of the way!

That's kinda my take on it, too ... :D

Seriously though ... I always get a bit freaked out when I'm driving and I hear a siren. Why? Because I cannot tell where that SOB is coming from ... :shocked: Honestly ... I must hear sirens in "surround sound" or something. GC swears I'm gonna cause a wreck one of these days because the first thing I do is put my foot on the brake and start looking around ... He's finally convinced me to let him tell me where it's coming from without having to actually SEE it but day-um ... Those sirens freak me out! :lookaroun

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a semi-related question. When is it required for lights to be on when OHP (or other police dept) is exceeding the speed limit?

The reason I ask is that I was nearly taken out by an OHP car on the turnpike a few weeks ago. I was about to pass a semi going up a hill and a second glance in the rearview mirror caused me to let off the gas and stay in the right lane. A few seconds later an OHP flew by - no lights, no siren. I was going between 70 and 75, so he was easily going 100. If something is that urgent I would think it wound warrant lights and siren.

Latest posts

Top Bottom