Radio Host Tom Joyner Offers Rachel Jeantel Full College Scholarship

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Radio Host Tom Joyner Offers Rachel Jeantel Full College Scholarship.
http://news.yahoo.com/radio-host-to...ntel-full-153947889--abc-news-topstories.html

In case you are not familiar with Rachel Jeantel, she is the friend of Travon Martin who was on the phone with him a few minutes before his death.

The reason I feel this is news worthy is that even though she is in high school she can barely read or write and had somebody else write her statement to the police. On the stand she could not verify that the written statement was accurate because she cannot read or write cursive(?).

So, what we have here is a person who appears to have perhaps a 2nd or 3rd grade reading and writing skills being offered a full college scholarship. Presumably her other basic skills are at a similar level.

First off, I could see where she would be well served by extensive one on one tutoring to bring her various skills in line with other high school students, and that would seem to be a much more useful gift to give her before even discussing college.

Second, you have a person who (at this point in her life) appears to be below the minimum academic level to be accepted into a college program. I have to wonder if the offer made by Tom Joyner is genuine, or if he is making the offer as a ploy to gain favor with his listeners with the expectation that she will never actually make use of the offer.

I am NOT saying that she is mentally limited in any way, just that she needs other academic assistance before considering college.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She don't need no edication, she new skool.

Seriously, I look at this as a ploy, riding on the back of the Zimmerman case. Unless she is a star athlete, no school would want her with her limited education.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She don't need no edication, she new skool.

Seriously, I look at this as a ploy, riding on the back of the Zimmerman case. Unless she is a star athlete, no school would want her with her limited education.

If education was her only hurdle, this might be a good idea, but from what I have seen of this woman on TV, alcoholism and drug use may present a bigger challenge than her illiteracy.

A full ride in college sounds great, but I have seen many bright students flunk out solely due to not having skin in the game and taking somebody else's money for granted.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote from the yahoo article:

"I will help you get tutors to get out of high school, tutors to pass the SAT. I will give you a full-ride scholarship to any HBCU," Joyner said."

You guys have really been a negative bunch lately. There are way more important things to turn my attention besides someone's college being paid for. He can do what he wants with his money.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote from the yahoo article:

"I will help you get tutors to get out of high school, tutors to pass the SAT. I will give you a full-ride scholarship to any HBCU," Joyner said."

You guys have really been a negative bunch lately. There are way more important things to turn my attention besides someone's college being paid for. He can do what he wants with his money.

No $#!+ man!

Everybody getting angry over stuff that's not "OSA-PC" enough I guess. How does this negatively affect anyone here?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why are so many people so worried about what other people are worried about???? :brick:

Yes! Let's all stop discussing things with the people in this local Internet forum/community and get back to being obsessed with things we can find on the Internet where someone in some other state said or did something that doesn't impact me at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom