Rattlesnake Vaccine for Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if it still this way but 8 years back it was a 2 shot deal. Knew someone that had given their dog the first shot and in between it and the second the dog was bitten on the lip by a darn rattler. Took dog to vet who said the snake had administered the second dose and the pup was good to go. Didn’t do anything to the dog.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I checked into it in Idaho because there were so many rattlers around our property. I asked 3 or 4 vets and got 3 or 4 differing opinions on effectiveness and whether or not it was really necessary. But...all of them said you still needed to get the dog treatment ASAP. They all agreed that was critical to giving the dog the best chance of survival.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what our vet has said, it can definitely be beneficial, but it’s not 100% full proof. There might be different types, but the one our dogs got consisted of two shots. Luckily, they haven’t been bitten since getting the vaccine. Two of my dogs were bitten before I knew about the vaccine. The wounds looked horrible, but they both fully recovered.

Caliber 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody heard of it? Use it? Pros? Cons?
Anybody heard of it? Use it? Pros? Cons?
I have used the rattlesnake anti venom on my German shepherd for the last several years now, the dog has responded well and I think it is a smart move. It will probably save your dogs life in the event of a snake bite and doesn’t cost that much to protect a pet that you love.
Caliber 1

Caliber 1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
This has my interest since I've never heard of this.
Are there specific vaccines for specific rattlesnake venom?
I know that the venoms can be different
Good question, I live in Texas and just asked my vet to give my dog the shots that were relevant for rattlesnakes, the shots (2) must take the various types of snakes into consideration, I think you have to ask the vet what is best where you live.
Caliber 1

Latest posts

Top Bottom