RCGC Private range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The falling plate targets at the cowboy range have been destroyed by people shooting rifles at them.
The only rifles allowed in that area is cowboy types with lead bullets and theres only one spot their allowed on.
Not 223, 762x39 or 308s.
The empty cases of which are found there all the time.
The cowboy targets are made of softer steel and are for lead bullets only.

My understanding of the reason the action pistol range matches ceased was because certain uncaring individuals would go destroy the targets the week before a match. Then everybody showed up for the match only to find everything broken. This pissed off the shooters and the guy running the program and he quit and they couldn't find anybody else to run it.

If your out there and hear loud rifle fire or rapid pistol fire from that area
go over and see whats going on.
If their shooting something they shouldn't tell them to stop or just write down their tag number and call it in to the club office, 582-3922

Another problem lately is people shooting 223 and larger rifles on the
22 long rifle/high power pistol silhoutte range.
Also shooting the little 22 targets with centerfire pistols is why they are always broken.

A little advisory to those going out there, A huge amount of the damage occurs once a month on Sunday after 3 pm. If your out there at that time
please watch for the bad guys and report them. so its probably 1 guy or group of guys doing all the damage.

These could well be non-members who attend a match and then stay over and shoot at other range.

Leemaxx

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not out there a lot but when I do go it is usually Sunday afternoon so I'll start paying more attention. Hopefully we will start getting some nicer weather. I know there are some signs at the 22 range, maybe some signs at the other ranges stating what is or is not allowed might help. There was some confusion about what type of ammo was allowed on the rifle range awhile back.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There should be no reasonj for anything to get stolen. We purcgased ad huge Storage box a few years ago and the brought their own lockable building also.
QUOTE]

They lock up most of their match stuff I believe, its the practice targets they leave out for members to practice at that were stolen.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The falling plate targets at the cowboy range have been destroyed by people shooting rifles at them.
The only rifles allowed in that area is cowboy types with lead bullets and theres only one spot their allowed on.
Not 223, 762x39 or 308s.
The empty cases of which are found there all the time.
The cowboy targets are made of softer steel and are for lead bullets only.

My understanding of the reason the action pistol range matches ceased was because certain uncaring individuals would go destroy the targets the week before a match. Then everybody showed up for the match only to find everything broken. This pissed off the shooters and the guy running the program and he quit and they couldn't find anybody else to run it.

If your out there and hear loud rifle fire or rapid pistol fire from that area
go over and see whats going on.
If their shooting something they shouldn't tell them to stop or just write down their tag number and call it in to the club office, 582-3922

Another problem lately is people shooting 223 and larger rifles on the
22 long rifle/high power pistol silhoutte range.
Also shooting the little 22 targets with centerfire pistols is why they are always broken.

A little advisory to those going out there, A huge amount of the damage occurs once a month on Sunday after 3 pm. If your out there at that time
please watch for the bad guys and report them. so its probably 1 guy or group of guys doing all the damage.

These could well be non-members who attend a match and then stay over and shoot at other range.

That's not entirely correct. We had our share of damage due to jerks shooting stuff they shouldn't have, but no more than the club as a whole. What we had was constant issues with mud, poor berms due to erosion and not quite enough shooting bay space. Almost all efforts to get improvements for several years went unheeded by the board, despite our programs being otherwise self-sufficient and turning a profit overall for the club. We helped provide stuff to shoot at for the general membership but didn't get much in return.

When the last two match directors grew weary of running the programs without much support, they didn't find willing replacements because no one wanted to put up with the same lack of support that ran all the way back to before 2000 with Shawn Thornton running Action Pistol steel matches (where most of the steel racks enjoyed by the general membership came from).

I don't believe our programs were ever understood by the board and not much effort was made to try. We were just the red headed step children that were tolerated, not encouraged. :(

But that's ok, because IDPA and IPSC found a welcoming and supportive home at the United States Shooting Academy! :)

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does Red Castle have this problem? I haven't been a member very long (almost a year I think), but I was immediately struck by all the stuff with holes in it: benches at the plinking range, doors of the skeet houses, and on and on.

I haven't been able to make it out much recently (money has been hella tight), but I think that with some cooperation between the members who are there a lot and some correlation with the RFID scan database we can figure this out.

Oh, PS, digital forensics is sort of my thing so I'd love to help go through the database.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main problem with RCGC is that their is no one to man the range on a full time basis. This allows shooters (or looters) free access with out supervision. The cost of repairs over the years probably could have covered this to some extent. I would guess that the club has many retired members that would be happy to watch over the facilities on a part time basis for some sort of monetary return. If I were retired I would love to spend a day a week on the range doing my thing and watching over the facilities for proper use of the facilities..

These are just my opinions.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The main problem with RCGC is that their is no one to man the range on a full time basis. This allows shooters (or looters) free access with out supervision. The cost of repairs over the years probably could have covered this to some extent. I would guess that the club has many retired members that would be happy to watch over the facilities on a part time basis for some sort of monetary return. If I were retired I would love to spend a day a week on the range doing my thing and watching over the facilities for proper use of the facilities..

These are just my opinions.

It annoys me to no end that this is necessary, I always try to leave the range cleaner/better than I found it.

eta: Thank You DC for being willing to be part of the solution.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It annoys me to no end that this is necessary, I always try to leave the range cleaner/better than I found it.

eta: Thank You DC for being willing to be part of the solution.

Thanks for the props but that is what we do. I was the Action Pistol director for 3 years after Shawn left and had to deal with these things every month. We repaired and welded up our equipent monthly to continue. I was also on the board for 3 years so I do know how things functioned at that time. I maintain my membership at RCGC because they have facilities that I have a need for often and are priced cheaply( maybe to cheap) in my opinion. I was very frustrated when I would set up steel match up( often 100 or more steel targets) on a thursday or a friday and show up saturday morning and find our targets moved or "all shot to hell". I was told that the range is "open" to every club member and could not close off the action pistol bays after match setup so that was the chance I had to take. getting range improvements were very difficult as only a select few were allowed to use the heavy equipment nneded to make the improvements that we needed. I am very happy that the Cowboy Shooters were able to accomplish in a matter of a few months what we asked for for many years.

JMO
YMMV.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of this could have been stopped long ago if they had simply installed an access gate right before the range with a card reader system and a surveillance system for the ranges. All this BS about vandalizing (and that's what it really is) range equipment would have dwindled to nothing and when it happend they could figure out who the perpetrators were.

Instead they spend all the money on pet projects they want instead of what the general membership needs to continue having open access to facilities and equipment. JMO

Latest posts

Top Bottom