Reccomendations for Rapid City, SD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever been? Besides Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Memorial, Deadwood etc. does anyone have any family friendly vacation advice. The kids are 17 & 14. No, we are not going in August. It will be in July.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reptile Gardens and Bear Country USA, they'll like both. I remember when I was a kid they'd let you ride on the giant tortoise's at Reptile Gardens but I took my kids a few years ago and apparently it's animal cruelty now, it's still a pretty cool place though. The Badlands are pretty awesome too, most people find them boring but I think it's an awesome place with a TON of history. There's also a nice little Cabelas in Rapid now.

Another good place is Devil's Tower just across the border in Sundance Wyoming.

I'll be up there sometime in July too, can't wait.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be absolutely certain that a biker meeting isn't happening when you plan to be there. Those events soak up all the motel rooms in a multi-state area.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a picture somewhere of me on one of those big turtles at reptile gardens!! that was early 80's. bear country, the black hills, rushmore, evans plunge very nice countryside. A friend of mine rents cabins out in sturgis.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go west on I-90 about 250 miles and exit on to Wyoming 14 and go another 100 or so miles to the East entrance of Yellowstone. I've made that trip a few times and we enjoy it every time.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go west on I-90 about 250 miles and exit on to Wyoming 14 and go another 100 or so miles to the East entrance of Yellowstone. I've made that trip a few times and we enjoy it every time.

That is a great drive. I grew up in Montana just north of there and we spent our summer's up on the Big Horn mountains. It's where I cut my teeth on the fly rod. I still go up there every summer for some R&R and maybe a backpack trip in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. A good place to stay is Bear Lodge, rent some ATV's and do some sight seeing on the dirt roads up there, beautiful country and if you get off the beaten path a little you'll hardly see anyone around.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Devil's Tower. Even the teenagers will be awed. If it's a good day, you can walk around the base and see the little specks (that are people) climbing the tower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom