Pistacio crusted lamb with Dijon marinade and Roast turkey au jus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefsamuel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a recipe that might help you use up that turkey carcass from holiday dinner.

You will need:

Rack of lamb ( can be found alot of places, I get mine at crest when I cook at home), dijon mustard, olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, celery, onions, carrots, pistacios, bread crumbs, tomato paste and red wine

First of all when you get home take your lamb out, alot of places will already have the bones cleaned, if not you can do it yourself. I won't go into alot of detail here (pm if you have questions) but you basically want to use the back side of a small knife to scrape all the fats and meat off the bones and trim it down a bit to make it more appealing.

Next take chopped garlic 2tbsp, dijon 2 tbsp, chopped rosemary 1tbsp, and a little drizzle of olive oil. You basically want to make a paste that will flavor the lamb as well as help the bread crumb adhere to it. Now smear this paste all over the lamb, not on the bones, just the meat.

Now take your pistacios and bread crumbs, mixed about 1:3 ratio, add alittle salt and pepper, and run them through a food processor, coffee grinder, or i have even put them in a zip lock and crushed them with the bottom of a pan against a counter. now that you have your crust, pat it onto your marinated lamb, covering the meat completely. It doesn't need to be caked on there, but just make sure there are no bare spots.

For the sauce take your turkey bones, throw them in the oven for about 25 min on 350, or just long enough to let them get a nice caramel color. Next, add them in a pot with 1 large onion diced, a few chopped stalks of celery, and chopped carrot. let them saute in a little olive oil to get a nice color ( carmelization makes everything better) just keep them moving every so often so they don't burn. when they look good add in a few cups of red wine and sprigs of rosemary (or other herbs) and let the pot start deglazing and getting all the flavor mixed in. once the wine has reduced about halfway add a few cups of water and about two or three tbsp of tomato paste. stir it all in and let it simmer and reduce for about half an hr. as it reduces it will get more flavorful, so once it gets down to where you want it add a salt and pepper to taste.

ok, now in a smoking hot pan (must be hot so the crust won't stick) add just a little olive oil, enough to coat the pan, and sear both sides of the lamb, about 30 seconds each side, you aren't trying to cook it, just get the color you want. ok now that it's seared put it in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes ( depending on your preference of doneness). pull it out and let it rest for 1 minute, then cut the lamb into single bones, usually 3 or 4 bones per person and pour a little of the sauce over it. Goes well with roasted potatos and vegetables.

Latest posts

Top Bottom