Recommendation for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogersz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't decide on what to carry so I'm seeking opinions. My main dilemma is semi-auto or revolver. Size and money are my biggest factors ( it has to be small and easy to conceal, and I only have about $325 to spend). Also, ammo availability is a factor, and reliability. I'll also be taking this gun to the range at least twice a month. I've been looking at the kel-tec p32 or a .38 snubbie like a taurus or charter arms (I know not the ideal self defense rounds but it has to be a small, easily concealed gun). I'm pretty new to guns and have only owned a handgun for about a year, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for everyones time.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what do you own currently? why not carry it...

I have a 38 special 3 inch bbl I sometimes carry - usually a compact 1911 is on my hip.

whatever you carry know how it works, know that you can trust it, and that it will function. You should know it inside and out and be able to comfortably shoot it.

rogersz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i currently own a taurus pt-111 and it is definately not reliable, it's been sent back to taurus twice and still doesn't work right. i've tried different carry positions and i can always see it printing, so i'm thinking i need somethin smaller.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a lot of good choices in that price range. Pic the largest/heaviest one you can stand to carry all day long. If you thinking .38sp, I'd recommend looking at .357mag. If your considering .380, I'd recommend 9mm. Most of these options are comparable in size with a slight addition to weight, but deliver more punch.

Don't be afraid of carrying a full size. You'd be surprised how easy it is to conceal a 5" 1911.

lockoutmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The little charter arms are great! I have the off duty in .38 and my mother has the undercover in .38. The offduty is light and goes bang everytime even with allof the types of ammo. I have put through. Light loads and +p+ shot equally well. The only problems I have had were from reloads that the primers were seated too deep. With no hammer they don't hit the primers as hard.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both the Ruger LCP (very small and light) and also a .38 snubbie. If you can only carry one of them I would recommend the .38 snub.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P5250010.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_PB050004.jpg

If concealing the PT111 is a problem you probably need to change your clothing type or the holster. If you are unwilling or unable to do that then carry something like the LCP. Its better than nothing.

I have owned a PT111 in the past and really liked it. What kind of problems are you having with it?

BC

rogersz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
348:
Thats what I keep reading on different forums is that it is easy to conceal a full size 1911 or pocket carry a j-frame, and I just don't see how. My PT-111 prints everytime I bend over, or move just right.

BurkLee:
I think it has somethin to do with the firing pin, the round doesn't always fire on the first strike sometimes not at all. It doesn't look like the firing pin hits the primer hard enough to ignite the round, on a few of the rounds the firing pin leaves a tapole looking mark or just a slight indention.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I could only have one, it would be my j-frame 642, just because it conceals so easy. You'll be surprised, in a pocket holster even if it prints no one can tell it's a gun. Looks like a wallet carried in the front pocket. I've got a pocket ankle and owb holsters for mine virtually no instance I can't hide it easily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom