Recommendation for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as a larger gun being concealable, it can be done with the right holster and clothing. I can and often do carry a Beretta 92 - not exactly a pocket gun, but has 18+1 of 9mm. But finding the right holster and a good gun belt can run another $150+ easily. But if I had to keep only one handgun it would be my 642 just because it is so much more concealable in all situations.

IF you can swing another $100 or so, you can pick up a S&W j-frame. There are 2 in the classifieds here - a 442 and a 37-2.

TITCR

I would suggest a 642 or a 442. Or an all stainless S&W J frame.

For more money - I would look at compact 9mms. Glock, S&W, Springfield, Walther, SIG, HK, etc.

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i do agree a j-frame is a great ccw gun, but this guy says hes wanting a gun to go to the range with several times a month, IMO a snubby j-frame is not a good or even fun gun to shoot hundreds of rounds through each month. i usually take several guns to the range with me, while my j-frame stays at home.
I disagree. I have no problems shooting 100 rounds through my 642 in a day. Has the hogue grips which I'm sure helps over the wood grips. For what it's worth, I carry every time I leave the house and a lot of the time in the house. Estimate Glock 26 85% j-frame 642 12% and just got a LCP for the other 3% such as running dress slacks & tie etc. Like the Glock best but j-frame is much easier to hide and would be the last to be given up.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold my wifes 642 on this site a few days ago.She likes to shoot alot, but she absolutely hated shooting the 642, thus the reason I sold it. She shot 250 rounds through her new kahr pm9 yesterday and loves it.My everday ccw is a fullsize 1911, Different strokes for different folks i guess. Good luck on your ccw choice.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On Printing. Don't worry about it so much. It has been discussed on this forum a few times, but as long as the thing is covered with a shirt I don't think you will have an issue. No one cares or even remotely notices a bump under your shirt.

Standard Response: COLOSTOMY BAG... that should defuse any awkward situation

How often do you see someone carrying a concealed weapon? Thousands of Oklahomans get an SDA permit every year. Odds are excellent that you have been in close proximity of concealed weapons several times every day as you went to WalMart, the grocery store, or stopped to get gas.

That came up in a conversation with a coworker where we had somehow started talking about open carry. This coworker is afraid of people in public with guns, but has no problem with them otherwise. I coulda swore they was about to become a recluse when I told them that I was willing to bet good money that at the Wal-Mart here minimum 1 in 15 were licensed and 1 in 25 were carrying.

Practice wearing it around the house when other people are around. Do not mention it to them and as they are ready to leave ask them about their thoughts and opinions on concealed carry. I bet most of them will not know you are carrying concealed and it is up to you whether you want to tell them at this point. If they have noticed they will ay something but I doubt many will even know.

I've never had them notice, even while working on cars or something where it was bound to show. Even now, my wife doesn't notice. There's be times that we've gone some place for the evening almost immediately after I got home from work, and when we get home from where we went that night and I take off the holster for the night she remarks that she had no idea at all that I was carrying. (I work at a school with no convenient off campus parking, so its never with me during those times.)

Don't be afraid of carrying a full size. You'd be surprised how easy it is to conceal a 5" 1911.

Or a 5" XD45. Helluva a brick, but disappears nicely once you find the right position in a good holster on a nice stiff belt.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The OP wants something small, and something he can take out shooting to enjoy. Those little pocket 9MM's are as bad as the airweight J-frames. An all steel pocket 9MM is going to need a belt holster, an all steel J-frame can be used in a pocket holster, but I do prefer an IWB holster.

With the all steel J-frame he'll be able to take to the range and shoot it as much as he wants, of course I'm only talking about one in .38spl. Granted the .357 does step out there faster than the .38spl, but its not as easy to shoot as the .38spl, and you have to contend with flash and higher decibles with the .357. For those who have touched off a .357 indoors without hearing protection, you know what I'm talking about.

The J-frame is a very small gun, and regardless of its makeup it requires lots of practice to become good with it. Your going to be able to practice more with a steel one than one made out of UNOBTAINIUM. If this is to be your carry gun, you need to be going to the range more than just every couple of months, plus you need to be doing lots of dryfire practice.

rogersz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know what dryfiring is but i don't know why i should be practicing can someone explain.

also i was lookin at j-frames on line and found one at budsgunshop.com for about $450 but i also found a ruger sp101 for the same price. i know it's goin in a different direction but would a sp101 make a good cc gun.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SP101 is a good gun I have never had any problems with them and they make good carry guns. For the money though I would get a Smith and Wesson 642. Dry fire practice is one of the best things you can do besides live fire. It will teach you draw, trigger control, stance, presentation all the things that make your shooting accurate you can do with dry fire. In fact I practice draw, presentation, and dry fire about 20 to thirty times a day on my carry piece before I take it off to go to bed. You will see a return on your shooting when you go to the range if you do these things.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know what dryfiring is but i don't know why i should be practicing can someone explain.

also i was lookin at j-frames on line and found one at budsgunshop.com for about $450 but i also found a ruger sp101 for the same price. i know it's goin in a different direction but would a sp101 make a good cc gun.

SP101 is going to be heavier, but it'll be a pleasure to practice with compared to the lighter S&W J frames. Are you looking at a .38 or .357 Smith?

Latest posts

Top Bottom