Recommendation for CCW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for your given budget i would lean towards a revolver, i wouldent trust my life to a $325 auto, put less than $100 more to it and get a xd, or glock auto. that is my 2 cents, i am sure others will disagree but oh well.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I could only have one, it would be my j-frame 642, just because it conceals so easy. You'll be surprised, in a pocket holster even if it prints no one can tell it's a gun. Looks like a wallet carried in the front pocket. I've got a pocket ankle and owb holsters for mine virtually no instance I can't hide it easily.

+1

I personally have not had good experiences with the small semi-autos. A revolver is inherently more reliable than a semi-auto. If it doesn't go bang, just pull the trigger again. Modern self defense ammo in .38sp is perfectly adequate for most self-defense situations. I'm not familiar with the Charter revolvers, but I have heard good things about the Taurus revolvers - they have a much better reputation than their semi-autos.

As far as a larger gun being concealable, it can be done with the right holster and clothing. I can and often do carry a Beretta 92 - not exactly a pocket gun, but has 18+1 of 9mm. But finding the right holster and a good gun belt can run another $150+ easily. But if I had to keep only one handgun it would be my 642 just because it is so much more concealable in all situations.

IF you can swing another $100 or so, you can pick up a S&W j-frame. There are 2 in the classifieds here - a 442 and a 37-2.

watchcollector1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small autos are fine IF you are willing to practice. I have had small autos, and just yesterday got a Ruger LCP which I think is the smallest I have owned.

Took it to the range, and even for a 380 it is not all that comfortable to shoot, difficult to get a proper grip on quickly without practice. It is however the easiest to conceal gun I have ever tried.

J Frame Smith is very hard to beat.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi
I had a charter and sold it. Sent it back twice before I gave up. Didn't go bang every time. Have an LCP and a Glock 19. Carry the 19 90% of the time. For me when I first started carrying the LCP seemed perfect, very light, small, ok power. The more I shot it and held it the more I understood that a self defense tool needs to be big enough and sturdy enough to fight with. The little guns are just very hard to hold on to on a good day let alone your worst day. The Glock 19 is just so much easier to get on target. If you get a good holster like a supertuck with two belt clips the extra weight and size of the bigger weapon will not be an issue. Try drawing the little guns quickly [unloaded !] a few times and you may see that the man size hand needs something more to hold onto.

On price: I've wasted twice the cost of a good gun on a slightly cheaper gun. Don't waste your money on an ok brand. If you get a wheel gun get a S&W. If you get an automatic, Glock 26 or 19, an M&P compact or an XD in 9mm would be a sold choice.

On Printing. Don't worry about it so much. It has been discussed on this forum a few times, but as long as the thing is covered with a shirt I don't think you will have an issue. No one cares or even remotely notices a bump under your shirt.

Good luck on your purchase. Like most of us have found out, there is no "one" carry weapon. For me the LCP is my front pocket weapon with dress paints and shirt tucked in, the Glock the rest of the time.

J

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
as was said,j frame smith and don't worry as much about the printing.it's really not noticeable at all to others.they just don't look for those things.it bothers you because you can see it.try wearing darker shirts,it helps.

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i do agree a j-frame is a great ccw gun, but this guy says hes wanting a gun to go to the range with several times a month, IMO a snubby j-frame is not a good or even fun gun to shoot hundreds of rounds through each month. i usually take several guns to the range with me, while my j-frame stays at home.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How often do you see someone carrying a concealed weapon? Thousands of Oklahomans get an SDA permit every year. Odds are excellent that you have been in close proximity of concealed weapons several times every day as you went to WalMart, the grocery store, or stopped to get gas. The huge bulge and printing that you see in the mirror will never be noticed by 99.9% of the people you will come into contact with. (It ain't that huge).
Practice wearing it around the house when other people are around. Do not mention it to them and as they are ready to leave ask them about their thoughts and opinions on concealed carry. I bet most of them will not know you are carrying concealed and it is up to you whether you want to tell them at this point. If they have noticed they will ay something but I doubt many will even know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom