Red Castle's rules...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leardriver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The closest line of steel targets (the chickens) to the main berm is 200 yards. So I'm confused by the 100-yard comment

Don't be confused... or Perplexed.

It may be a simple error. I saw five target berms between the main (flagpole) staging berm and the 600 yard target area. It was natural to think that the berms were graduated at 100 yard intervals (not thinking metric, obviously).

Those steel targets probably are at 200 yards (or meters). I seem to recall a berm, even closer to the staging area, that had no targets. That must be the 100 yard (or 100 meter) berm that one of you refered to. We did nothing with that berm, because there were no targets. In the wide open spaces of the 600 yard range, compared to the plinking and rimfire ranges we commonly use, the distances deceived us.

And, as it turns out, I guess we're better marksmen than we ever imagined.

I ran a guy off the pistol silhouette range the other day who was shooting the pistol silhouettes with a 222rem.

BTW, I haven't run anybody off, but I did offer some correction to some guys at the rimfire range, who were shooting the little targets with a .45. I offered them my .357 and told them to try it on the big pigs further downrange. They shot a cylinder full of my ammo, then packed up.

Cap'n Bill

Kid Colt

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad you're going to bring it up at the meeting on Monday. I should be in attendence also.

Seems like sometimes the TRC officers can be a little testy and preachy so I hope it doesn't turn into something like that. I think every meeting I've ever attended the Pres. admonishes everyone in the room for shooting tracers and setting the place on fire :-)

I do see a lot of people using the silhouettes for general shooting back on the 600 when I go out. Perhaps a suggestion that the club could take on would be to put up a couple of "gongs" on swingers at various yard lines to allow for the type of thing you were doing. They could build them out of 1/2" or whatever it takes to keep damage to a minimum. This would allow for their more generalized silhouette rules while still providing an easy way to shoot longer distances.

Anyway, It sounds as though you are a responsible party and the key is for club members to work together and keep the club an enjoyable place where it's not us vs. them.

Hope to see you at the meeting or on the range one day!

leardriver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps a suggestion that the club could take on would be to put up a couple of "gongs" on swingers at various yard lines to allow for the type of thing you were doing.

That is just an excellent idea. I would contribute financially to something like that being put in place.

Back at ya.

Bill

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
there is/was a gong/swinger at each silhouette impact area. But they suffer more damage, faster than the silhouettes. Because they dont have the "Give" the the silhouette has when it falls over. the hangers are still there.
I guess you all could make some new gongs. I think the old ones were 1/2" thick.

As far as the fires, I personally have been out there when 2 or 3 of the fires have started. and its always because of tracers, usually 50 cal.
The reason its brought up is once the fires start, it'll burn for miles and we don't need lawsuits from burning down some guys house or barn a mile away just because some moron wanted to see what a tracer would look like.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm not a member of your club but I might offer a couple of suggestions.

Steel targets should be considered disposable items. Depending on their hardness they may last a very long time but they are eventually going to be worn out. If you are using targets made out of scrap or mild steel for anything other than handguns and rimfire it's not surprising they are getting testy about damage.

Wideners sells steel targets including these which are 1/2" 500 brinell. I carry a 3/8" 500 Brinell in the back of my pickup and it will stand up to almost anything. It has easily withstood over a thousand M855 from 50yds to 300yds and around 500 rounds out of a full auto PKM. (Hearing the report from a 10 round burst that got 10 hits on a steel target @ 200 yards is pretty fricking cool, BTW)

Regards,
Ek

31Bravo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a Range master/ Officer at another range in Tulsa and I have never heard of FMJ not being allowed on a long distance range. I have seen FMJ green tips at 30 yards tear a steel target to shreds but that is for one stupid and not safe to shoot that close but at 100 YD and greater distance you really should not have to worry about tearing a steel target up. That Officer may have had his facts crossed.

leardriver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, for any of you who have been waiting for a resolution of my issue, here goes... short and sweet.

Prior to the start of the club's monthly meeting tonight (Monday), I asked the club president if I could discuss the issue in front of the members present. He asked me to explain the problem to him. I did so, and I was completely satisfied by his response. He said he would seek to clarify the policy at the club's board meeting on Thursday.

At present, I have written permission, from the president himself, to use .223 FMJ at the High Power Rifle Silhouette Range.

Naturally, all the other prohibitions... no magnums, no tracers, no armor piercing... are still in effect and should be respected. But .223 FMJ is okay.

Thanks for listening.

Cap'n Bill

Euclid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's what I figured. I know FMJ has never been a problem before. I think the guys who spoke with you needs to be enlightened as well. Was he at the meeting?

Latest posts

Top Bottom