Red Castle's rules...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know his name, but there is one officer who seems to be on a mission to make sure nobody has any fun at RC. He has interrupted my shooting on several different occasions, the last 2 when I was shooting my 50 bmg. He wanted to tell me not to shoot the silhouettes, but, apparently he can't see, because my portable bench, and rifle sitting, on it were pointed directly at the 50 bmg target area, nowhere near the silhouettes. If he had kept his mouth shut and his eyes open for just a few seconds, he would have known I wasn't shooting towards the silhouettes.

Although there are some who screw it up for the rest, most of us really do know what we are doing, and we don't need some "mall cop" type dork telling us not to do what we aren't doing.

Funny thing, but I have never seen him shooting while at the club, it looks like he just wonders around trying to catch people doing something wrong! Some folks are like that I guess.

Bob Hinds, on the other hand, has walked over and watched before saying something stupid. He did ask what kind of pistols we were shooting at the handgun silhouettes one day. Not because he thought we were doing anything wrong, but because they were so loud.

leardriver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really not tight with any of the officers, although I have had constructive conversations with Bob Hinds, John Hinds, John Campbell, and Alan Woodside, among others. In every situation with those men, I have been treated cordially and with respect, which I have returned in kind.

Red Castle is a great club with many fine folks. The only trouble I see over the distant horizon is that so many of the people who make the club what it is are getting on up there in terms of their age. I'm in my 60's and I often feel like a youngster at some of the meetings.

However, the inclusion of the Cowboy Action shooters has added new energy to the membership, if not necessarily new youth.

Thanks for the post.

Cap'n Bill

RangeHound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cap'n Bill,

Thanks for the post. I am a RC member and love going out. There seems to always be confusion on what can be shot at what range. Recently, on the .22 silhouette a gentleman was shooting a .223. I didn't think he should have been shooting there but wasn't confident to call him out on it. The other place there seems to always be confusion, as you found, is on the high power range for the reasons you experienced plus driving down to reset.

I often have wondered if some better signage or having a real Range Master on weekends would help.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cap'n Bill,

Thanks for the post. I am a RC member and love going out. There seems to always be confusion on what can be shot at what range. Recently, on the .22 silhouette a gentleman was shooting a .223. I didn't think he should have been shooting there but wasn't confident to call him out on it. The other place there seems to always be confusion, as you found, is on the high power range for the reasons you experienced plus driving down to reset.

I often have wondered if some better signage or having a real Range Master on weekends would help.

There are several signs on 22 range that say 22 rimfire or round ball muzzleloaders are the only rifles allowed! 223 is a centerfire. There are a lot of ignorant people who don't know the difference and need to be educated as to the difference. there is also several that just don't care and do whatever they please.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you read the newsletters they send out, they had many problems with folks violating the rules over the summer and even some vandalism. They had fires due to tracers and even had someone who did not pay for their clays and they shot a bunch. My guess is they are cracking down and maybe tend to be over sensitive to what someone is doing if it looks questionable.

Oklahoma_mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know his name, but there is one officer who seems to be on a mission to make sure nobody has any fun at RC. He has interrupted my shooting on several different occasions, the last 2 when I was shooting my 50 bmg. He wanted to tell me not to shoot the silhouettes, but, apparently he can't see, because my portable bench, and rifle sitting, on it were pointed directly at the 50 bmg target area, nowhere near the silhouettes. If he had kept his mouth shut and his eyes open for just a few seconds, he would have known I wasn't shooting towards the silhouettes.

Although there are some who screw it up for the rest, most of us really do know what we are doing, and we don't need some "mall cop" type dork telling us not to do what we aren't doing.

Funny thing, but I have never seen him shooting while at the club, it looks like he just wonders around trying to catch people doing something wrong! Some folks are like that I guess.

Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking of getting a membership there and am glad I saw this before doing so. If I do something wrong then by all means read me the riot act. But when you pay that kind of money only to have some jerk give you crap while you are doing everything by the book. :slap:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Was it possible you were shooting the 50 cal gong located to the right of the target holder and he heard the clang of metal being hit and thought you were shooting the silhouettes?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I have been thinking of getting a membership there and am glad I saw this before doing so. If I do something wrong then by all means read me the riot act. But when you pay that kind of money only to have some jerk give you crap while you are doing everything by the book. :slap:

When you have a club with 2500 members you will always have a few that don't want to follow the rules.

We are going to have several new officers this year, some maybe easy going and some may turn out to be hard asses. what do you expect? 2500 members and they have a hard time to get anybody to to volunteer to be officers. so they take what they can get.

If you don't understand the rules just ask at the monthly meeting (thats part of why we have a monthly meeting)

Overall most everyone is pretty laid back and helpful.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it possible you were shooting the 50 cal gong located to the right of the target holder and he heard the clang of metal being hit and thought you were shooting the silhouettes?

Nope. Even if I was, he could have simply looked at where the gun and shooting table were pointed and would have known I wasn't shooting silhouettes. If this had only happened once, I could overlook it, but this has happened twice and it was the same guy both times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom