Red Dot Sight Mount Removal Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A year ago or so I picked up a Trijicon MRO that came with a pretty nice little mount. I want to use it on a different gun in which I want a different mount height. My problem is the hex screws are in tight. I’d be surprised if the guy didn’t use locktite or a thread locker of some sort. I don’t want to take a heat gun to my MRO as I don’t want to damage it. Am I stuck with this mount or is there another way to get that sucker off?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Heat may be your only answer. You can look it up but most lock tite products require well over 200 degrees to release.
What I'd suggest is to use a high wattage soldering iron with a big tip to transfer heat quickly right on the screw head to localize the heat, and they might just come right out.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Heat may be your only answer. You can look it up but most lock tite products require well over 200 degrees to release.
What I'd suggest is to use a high wattage soldering iron with a big tip to transfer heat quickly right on the screw head to localize the heat, and they might just come right out.
Great idea I hadn’t thought of that.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Replace "soldering iron" with "soldering gun." I've never seen an iron (sometimes called a pencil) over 60W, but I have a dual-wattage gun at 100W/140W. The tip is bigger, too, so it has more heat-carrying capacity. I'd file the tip flat (rather than pointed or chisel) so you can put more surface area on the head of the screw to maximize heat transfer. The hotter the tip and the faster you can dump the heat into the screw, the sooner the threadlocker will give way, minimizing heat put into the rest of the mount and sight.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replace "soldering iron" with "soldering gun." I've never seen an iron (sometimes called a pencil) over 60W, but I have a dual-wattage gun at 100W/140W. The tip is bigger, too, so it has more heat-carrying capacity. I'd file the tip flat (rather than pointed or chisel) so you can put more surface area on the head of the screw to maximize heat transfer. The hotter the tip and the faster you can dump the heat into the screw, the sooner the threadlocker will give way, minimizing heat put into the rest of the mount and sight.
Semantics, semantics, lol.
I have the weller dual heat 110V unit as well as a couple of pencils with the right tips could do the job as well.
If I got real serious, I'd break out the Greenlee or the Weller propane soldering irons with the 1/8" tips that get REALLY hot for serious work like plastic welding, etc. The secret with guns or irons, is the size of the tip which gives it the ability to hold enough heat to transfer.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either should work, providing the tip is large enough to do a quick heat transfer without too much cooling. You don't want to hold it on the screw more than a few seconds anyway.

In fact, a large nail (or something similar), heated a dull red would work as well if you don't have soldering equipment. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom