reduced mosin loads question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
a few questions about reduced loads in the mosin. i got a box of 123 gr .310 bullets for the sks. when loading this round i have to bottom out my seating die to get the bullet in far enough. the case is still below the crimp ring by a mm or two. if i go any further, it crushes the neck. this is a widely used load according to my research, any suggestions?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, i can see how setting it as shallow as possible will help the accuracy but damn,there won't be much holding it in place. btw, i'm using 15gr of unique with this load. can't wait to shoot it. i've read that it has about the same punch as a 357 out of a lever gun. if thats the case,i could shoot all day.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok, i can see how setting it as shallow as possible will help the accuracy but damn,there won't be much holding it in place. btw, i'm using 15gr of unique with this load. can't wait to shoot it. i've read that it has about the same punch as a 357 out of a lever gun. if thats the case,i could shoot all day.

It should be a pretty light load:
www.boomershooter.com_forums_uploads_imgs_pre_1334946887__mosin_123gr_unique.jpg

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The red line is pressure at x barrel length.

The blue line is pressure at x barrel length.

It should clear the barrel just fine. The pressure will be a tiny bit higher than the graph shows because I used a definition for a .309 bullet as I don't use .310 bullets for anything. It should be really low recoil.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this turned out to be a sweet load. recoil was like a 223 and accuracy was decent. i was getting 2 inch groups at 50. kinda sounded like a suppressed 308.

Latest posts

Top Bottom