Reloading 45 ACP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might look at the RCBS digital scale as well. Later, you can add the electronic dispenser which is great for precision powder measurements for rifle loads.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
palmeto had 505 scales forever for 49 bucks.. was mentioned here a few times.

You can modify that Lee scale to read more accurate and be easier to read. Super glue a long stickpin or piece of copper wire to the end and extend the reading range make notes of where the new Zero is as well as where the .2gr and other marks end up.
I modded this one many years ago. then got the 505.. funny thing is the overall length from pivot point to the end of the needle on the modded lee scale was the same length as the stock 505 scale. Then I modded my 505 scale.

I also thinned the hanger points on the lee scale as i found weight could slightly vary as to where or how you hung the pan.
i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_scale001_1.jpg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Swampratt! That is interesting. Looked at Palmetto amd they are out of stock on the 505. But they do have the 502 for $79.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
palmeto had 505 scales forever for 49 bucks.. was mentioned here a few times.

You can modify that Lee scale to read more accurate and be easier to read. Super glue a long stickpin or piece of copper wire to the end and extend the reading range make notes of where the new Zero is as well as where the .2gr and other marks end up.
I modded this one many years ago. then got the 505.. funny thing is the overall length from pivot point to the end of the needle on the modded lee scale was the same length as the stock 505 scale. Then I modded my 505 scale.

I also thinned the hanger points on the lee scale as i found weight could slightly vary as to where or how you hung the pan.
i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii146_6jeffswish_scale001_1.jpg
Okierider, do not do this to a scale and count on it for reloading. This stuff can be dangerous

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DSCN2719.JPG
Thanks Swampratt! That is interesting. Looked at Palmetto amd they are out of stock on the 505. But they do have the 502 for $79.

I dug my 502 out of its hiding place to take this photo. The beam with the itty bitty divisions is from the 502, the beam with the much larger divisions is from the 505.

Couldn't see the 502 settings any more, would have been way too easy to be off by 5 (or even 10) grains.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 505 on the way!! Thanks for the pics Scott. $11 more for the 505 on ebay is well worth the easy reading!!
Got to Wilshire Gun today and ran 150 of the bullets I made!! Shoots as accurate as the store bought I was using in my 1911 and seems more accurate in my M&P Shield 45, but that is only the third or 4th time I have shot the M&P so it just may be I am getting the feel better for the pistol.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
magna19 my scale tweak only makes it more accurate.
thousands of rounds weighed on it ,,it is spot on when using check weights every time.
God forbid we tweak a tool to make it better.
If you tweak something then check the accuracy.. goes without saying i would think.
Weigh 10 lots of powder that each weigh 10 grains or then put that 100 gr of powder into the scale and check the weight.
Did you get 100 gr on your scale? IF yes then the scale is fine and dandy. my scale is fine and dandy.

I have 3 505 scales and 1 lee. they all read the same. maybe I got lucky.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
magna19 my scale tweak only makes it more accurate.
thousands of rounds weighed on it ,,it is spot on when using check weights every time.
God forbid we tweak a tool to make it better.
If you tweak something then check the accuracy.. goes without saying i would think.
Weigh 10 lots of powder that each weigh 10 grains or then put that 100 gr of powder into the scale and check the weight.
Did you get 100 gr on your scale? IF yes then the scale is fine and dandy. my scale is fine and dandy.

I have 3 505 scales and 1 lee. they all read the same. maybe I got lucky.
Tweak what you want, You should not offer advise to a new reloader of tweaking a scale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom