Reloading for .303 in an Enfield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looking for info on this, as I may end up with a 303 Enfield, and I will be reloading for it.

Curious on what bullets yall use, what powder, what cases, and all that. Do you full length size, or neck size only?

Anything I may need to know? I have heard of people using .308 bullets, or all the way to .315...

If you reload for a .303 that isn't an Enfield, or similar Mil Surp gun, I appreciate your time, but I don't think you can help me, as I am looking mainly for Enfield specific info.

Thanks,

Too bad there isn't a Mil Surp section for this kinda thing....

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.hornady.com/store/303-Brit/

I full length size, I use whatever Hornady bullets I can get cheap, usually 150gr. I find that at 100-200 yards bullet weight doesn't make a huge difference. I wouldn't suggest using .308 bullets, as the bores are generally oversized and a bullet .004" under a spec that's a little undersized to begin with isn't going to help you much. You'll really just have to measure your bore and see what you're up against. Make sure your headspace is good, if your headspace is way out you may want to neck size only.

I think you'll find 95%+++ of the .303 shooters out there are using Enfields.

If you haven't bought one yet, I highly suggest getting a No.4, and earlier dates are generally better than later dates.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Headspace ... headspace ... headspace. And, keep your loads on the light side. Mine (#4) really only liked the 174/180 grainers. I'd have to go do some looking for specific loadings, but I will if you'd really like particulars. I have since given mine to my son, and haven't loaded for it in a while.

Don

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
#1 - don't have too high of expectations from SMLE - any of you guys think you are SMLE crackshot - you are welcome at the SMLE @ OKCGC or TriCity match to clean the bank.

Partial neck size ONLY - SMLE chambers are HUGE and throats are HUGE, full sizing will wear out brass fast.

Brass: PPU, Rem or Win. Doesn't matter - none of them are particularly good or bad. Stay away from S&B - those were waaaay undersized and will head-separate.

Bullet: Every rifle is different - just try different bullets with "proven" loads.
Don't get tied up in "slugging" - I have .313 mosin that shoots .308s with flying colors.

Powder: Sometimes you can get away with reduced loads (21.0 gn of 4198 or 4759 or 4227), but the record holder shoots 42.0 of IMR4064 behind 150gn SN FB bullet.

This is about average SMLE match results: http://www.okcgunclub.org/military/mb/match12410.html
Some more reduced loads here: http://www.okcgunclub.org/military/mb/303.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom