Reloading the .308 (beginners question)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a Lee Challenger Kit to start reloading. It will be mostly for shooting my bolt .308 and 45s.

I would like to run a lot of good target rounds a few hunting rounds and some subsonics. Can anyone give me some good bullets to use for targets and hunting? I currently use Federal's 168 BTHP for target and Federal Sierra Gameking 165 for hunting.

Thanks!

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sierra makes a matchking in that same weight. They are expensive for just targetshooting, about 30 -33.00 dollars a box of 100. I bet you can find some 150 grain flat based bullets cheaper if you like to shoot up close.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a Lee Challenger Kit to start reloading. It will be mostly for shooting my bolt .308 and 45s.

I would like to run a lot of good target rounds a few hunting rounds and some subsonics. Can anyone give me some good bullets to use for targets and hunting? I currently use Federal's 168 BTHP for target and Federal Sierra Gameking 165 for hunting.

Thanks!

Load one bullet for both. The 168 Amax will do both jobs, just fine. It has superb target accuracy, and comes unglued in an animal's rib cage.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great info guys. I'll check out the Amax. That sounds like exactly what I am looking for. What is going to be the difference between the moly coated and uncoated?

I would also like to find a cheaper bullet for targets if that's possible. Is a BTHP really that good of a target bullet?

Latest posts

Top Bottom