Reloading the .308 (beginners question)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It just depends upon how far you plan on stretching them out. Are you going to 1,000yds? I shot some 168 SMK's in the wind today and was banging steel at 780yds. After a couple sighters, it was ringing, just fine. The 178/175's will carry more energy out at range, adn do indeed have a better ballistic coefficient, but if you are going to a max range of ..say 500yds and in, then either bullet weight will do fine. If you are going out to 1,000yds, then yes, you would want the 178/175 as DG mentioned. All depends upon what you want to do.

To answer the second part of your original question, for subsonics, loock at 170gn Flat nose bullets typically used in a 30-30 or the 180 round nose or 220gn round nose. That and a can of trail boss and you are in subsonic business.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a box of 168 Amax and Varget yesterday At Sear's. My target shooting is usually at 100y until I find a place near Yukon where I can shoot longer distances. For now I am just working on the fundamentals and my groups. For hunting I like to keep it within 350y.

Thanks for the info on the Subs. I've been searching the web too and came across your recipe. (12.2gns of Trail Boss and a Sierra 220gn RN primed with a CCI 200.) I might have to try that one. It's hard to argue with the results!

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I started loading a few subsonics this evening in anticipation of my 762 can. All did not go as well as expected. Thankfully with hours of help from angsniper, I was able to get out a few for the Saturday test. Thanks for all of your help sir!

My first problem was some inconsistency of my digital scale. Then, when seating the bullet, my first was pushed way deep because I didn't adjust for the round nose. Then, it felt like it was catching and it pulled some bullets out on the way down. I could actually press the bullet back in by hand. most didn't have this problem. I use a neck sizer and I trim each case before use. I think I will start using the full length from now on except for maybe a few hunting rounds. The other big problem I had was my Hornady caliper was measuring everything .004 short. Bullets were measuring .304. all of them even my Amax. Not too sure what to do now, but my rifle chambered the new rounds fine. I think I'll try em out and post the results.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the Lee factory crimp dies to alleviate the problem with bullets not being sufficiently held in the case. I also get more consistent veolcities with a uniform crimp. Digital scales are great as long as they work.. I keep a manual scale to check the digital periodically. I have one of the Lyman 1200 dispenseers and keep checking it just for safety. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom