Remember this when you cash in your lotto ticket!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article196375744.html

Clerk tells lottery winner his prize is only $5. She picked the wrong man to scam, cops say.

Do you trust your store clerk with your lottery ticket?

Maybe you’ve won a few hundred bucks or more. Will the employee tell you — or pocket the ticket while telling you it’s a loser?

That happened this week at a Fort Myers store, according to the Lee County Sheriff’s Office. A Winn-Dixie Liquors employee is accused of keeping a customer’s $600 winning ticket —and paying him only 5 bucks.

Crystelle Yvette Baton was charged with larceny grand theft on Monday.

Baton, 42, was caught because she scammed the wrong customer, cops say.

The man wasn’t a customer — he was an agent working undercover for the Florida Lottery Commission’s security division.

When the undercover agent approached Baton with the winning ticket, she scanned it and realized it was worth $600. But instead of telling the man, investigators said she quietly pulled $5 out of her purse and told the man that was the “winning” ticket’s payoff.

Shortly after, the agent went back to the store to bust Baton. The winning ticket was found hidden in her notebook.

Seems the Lottery Commission makes these random visits to sellers to make sure the games are played properly.

“Anyone that is working in a customer service job, you think that they are doing what is in your best interest. I would be very upset if someone took that from me,” Winn-Dixie customer Nadina Puzic told WBBH NBC2.

A reader, posting on the NBC2 website on Wednesday, said the scam isn’t unusual. “This is much more common than you would think. I put my name on the back always, and always notice when the cashier checks the back before she determines whether it won something or not. A favorite trick, pretend to throw ticket away after telling someone they did not win anything, and then when they leave, pull it out of the trash and collect.”

Jacksonville-based Winn-Dixie responded with a statement:

“We are taking this matter very seriously as the trust and safety of our customers is our highest priority. The associate’s employment has been terminated.”

Baton posted a $5,000 bond on Tuesday. Her trial date is set for Feb. 26.

Last edited:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've taken lotto tickets to QT to be scanned, and the employee will often just throw it in the trash (instead of handing it back) and declare it is not a winner. I make them dig it back out of the trash just to prevent this sort of thing.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should check your own tickets and KNOW whether it’s worth anything or not. Then only take the ones that are winners back to the QT or CircleK or the lotto office as needed.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For expediency, I often try to use the little machines in the back to check the ticket(s), but they often times don't work so it's then convenient to have the clerk check them. I can re-check them myself later.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched a lady buy several scratch tickets and all she did was scratch the portion off to expose the barcode and hand it back to the clerk to check. This lady wasn't even interested in playing the game or seeing if it was a winner. After she left, I verified with the store owner that she does this several times a week.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People get greedy for money...and this is what you get.

There was a local gas station in Memphis, had the same work staff for years then one day you go in and its a new staff. Apparently they got busted. They were getting rolls of tickets, scratching them off and taking the winners to buy them. In their mind, they'd eventually hit a BIG one to pay off the losers and still be ahead of the game. Then they got audited. I do believe they're in jail now.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the sake of $600.00 this gal is going to pay a lot more in attorney and court costs etc. No wonder she has probably done the crime before to others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom