Remember when................................?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Working cattle, saving the oysters for the after harvest community beer party. Wheat all taken to the elevators or bins then everyone brings the food and beer kegs to the next guy on the list's farm where we all fry Moutain Oysters in a great big kettle farmer Jim had. We'd have fun with horseshoes, sack races, kids riding their bikes, telling lies, home made peach ice cream and fireworks later on.

Our little community wasn't just farmers and neighbors, we were mostly all related. Cousins aunts and uncles.

SteveOhio

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Running around during the summers with shorts only, sometimes with shoes and sometimes without, baking in the sun for hours a day not knowing that most of us would later have to deal with the skin cancer it caused..........and cap guns with paper rolled caps lol.
As soon as I read "cap guns with paper rolled caps" I had a "smell" memory of that burnt powder from the cap gun. Cordite for kids!

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read thru every page of sweet memories here and can relate to almost every one listed, makes me sad thinking about how every year someone tried to make it better and in reality they’ve ruined it

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember that TG&Y, well. I wanted that Winchester 94, so bad. Dad kept saying there wasn't a need, we didn't deer hunt much. I went 1 time, at 12 yo (Dad and Uncle were deer hunting, I carried 20 ga SxS and shot quail) Dad went 1 other time. Much to my surprise, he went to Walgreen's and bought me a Remington 1100 for Christmas 🎄.

Never have owned a 94, probably never will. But, I did get a Marlin 336 .30-30 and several more 1100s.

Walgreens, TG&Y and Western Auto were all in the same shopping center, 3 blocks from our house. The gun counter guy knew me well.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As soon as I read "cap guns with paper rolled caps" I had a "smell" memory of that burnt powder from the cap gun. Cordite for kids!
Bought some a couple years back for some experiments in DIY primers that haven't happened yet. Some from Cabela's some from a Civil War reenactors site. Haven't popped them yet, but I have fond memories of a pirate's cutlass with cap pistol in the grip, riding in Uncle Jack's 1958 MG convertible standing , waving that sword and firing the cap gun with one hand on the top of the windshield! Mom woulda been mad!!! And I can about smell them...

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going down to the local gas station after they were closed for the night, opening the lid on the chest soda machine sitting out front, popping the top off a couple of [free] sodas inside then drinking them through a straw?

Buying cigarettes out of a vending machine even when you weren't legally old enough to do so?

Putting penny's on the train tracks to squish 'em flat?

Sambo restaurants when Blacks were still called Negros and the term 'African-American' didn't exist yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom