Research undermines medical marijuana claims

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just because cannabis is schedule 1 doesn’t mean that research can’t be done on it. A friend of mine did doctoral work on amphedimines and their derivatives without trouble, just some extra paperwork and a DEA visit or so per year to his research lab. I say if it’s such a promising thing, then do the research and prove it or not. Extract the appropriate components and produce the pharmaceutical drug, just like so many other plant derivatives have been done.
Tapatalk

First off, amphetamines are not a schedule I drug. They are legally prescribed for many afflictions. Any drug listed as a Schedule I can NOT be used for any research as a drug. This is the very definition of a Schedule I. Second, there are some uses for cannabis that uses both the THC and the CBD. While they are not able to research cannabis as a drug to treat sickness, they have done research on its properties and have found there "could" be uses in the medical field but the DOJ refuses to reclassify it for this research.

And those that are voting no because its a scary drug, this same mentality is used by the anti-gunners against semi-auto rifles. Cannabis is less harmful that alcohol, non-addicting (chemically at least), and the only negative impact it has on society is due to its illegal status. Unlike alcohol, people who are under the influence of cannabis are much less likely to be violent, drive much slower, and cause less problems than drunk people. So if you voting no, you are doing society a major disfavor.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is even an iota of evidence ( and I believe there is ) that marijuana will help people with a debilitating chronic illness then in all good conscience I must and will vote yes. We as a humane society have an obligation to provide any means possible that every human being should be afforded health related quality of life.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is even an iota of evidence ( and I believe there is ) that marijuana will help people with a debilitating chronic illness then in all good conscience I must and will vote yes. We as a humane society have an obligation to provide any means possible that every human being should be afforded health related quality of life.

There's plenty of it in Google Scholar.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did my own research years ago. I can tell you without a doubt it will cause an increase in production at the Doritos and Oreo plants and therefore means more jobs. But seriously, it is common sense that it can help with anorexia, nausea from whatever ailment or treatment, and sleep disorders. Their article might have held more water if it didn't devolve into a paragraph that plainly showed their disgust for people who "just want to smoke a joint".

BTW, I have a friend that lived in a state with medical MJ and he had a "license". He said he still went to his "guy" because of the ridiculous cost of medical MJ.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, y'all want to add Oklahoma to the list that includes Colorado, Oregon, California, Nevada, and whatever else? Those four I just named go pretty heavily as blue states.

2016 Election Map by state.png

Tongue may very well be in cheek at the moment.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd vote no if it I was sure the pot I smoked in Vietnam caused my short term memory loss. This issue sure gives my Wife an edge whenever we rehash something from a few weeks ago, etc. :anyone: :bah: :smash::mad:

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, y'all want to add Oklahoma to the list that includes Colorado, Oregon, California, Nevada, and whatever else? Those four I just named go pretty heavily as blue states.

Tongue may very well be in cheek at the moment.

This is an issue that shouldn't be about red or blue (I'm neither by the way, I pick how I feel on each issue, don't just go with a party flow). Right now the biggest reason Oklahoma jails are so full is marijuana. From simple possession to distribution, drug related offenses make up the majority of reasons Oklahomans are incarcerated, with marijuana being the vast majority of those crimes. If OK was to legalize it, then tax it, no longer would we be shelling out money for police investigations, arrests, court costs and jail costs and instead would be making money of the taxes. How in the hell does this not make sense? Yeah, so more people might toke up. Big deal. It is less dangerous than alcohol, both for the user and society in general. The only travesty might be a shortage on chips and cookies. This puritan stance of total abstinence has never worked and only causes more issues in society.

Sorry to be blunt about this, but those who would vote no need to pull their head out of the sand and stop following the repubs and think for themself. Even if you don't plan to partake in a joint now and then, why do you think someone else shouldn't? That's like someone saying that because they are against guns they should have the right to disarm us. Its a very hypocritical stance. And its one of the main reasons I'm an independent when it comes to politics, the hypocrisy is strong on both sides.

Latest posts

Top Bottom