resident goose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good Garand. I actually was planning to hunt on the 30th, never been goose hunting before. So playing cards last night I'm told about this Resident season. Now I pretty much had plans all day, but I might get to go in the AM.

Now I want to hunt them just as pest control as much as anything. However, my conscious won't let me kill an animal unless I plan to make good use of it. So, what's the best way to get rid of these birds once they are dead? I can only eat so many you know.

Speaking of eating them, I was thinking of smoking the first few. What other ways of Prep do you all suggest? If I get any teal, I could make a Goo-Duck-en.

I'm on board with you. I don't kill game that I don't eat, but then again I don't eat coyotes or possum, but those are varmints.
I've never taken a goose before as I've heard so many comments about how they don't taste good.
This year, I went to a dinner at a persons home that served goose shot last year. It was awesome! The cook was a German (100%) lady. I need to get out and get one and try it.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we usually turn most of our waterfowl into sausage or summer sausage..

We eat a ton of that walmart Turkey sausage at our house, maybe goose sausage would be a good substitute. And I love me some summer sausage, just never buy it cause it's more of a snack and not a meal. Anyway, do you do this yourself or have a processor do it for you?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Nice Garand! The first group of three landed short, had they come ten more yards into the pocket we could had them. The second group of around 12 flared bad. I walked out into the dekes and one of the sillouettes had fallen over. That'll make em flare every time. My son jumped a nearby pond for a teal.We changed gears and shot a few dove before we left. ah well,live and learn.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good Garand. I actually was planning to hunt on the 30th, never been goose hunting before. So playing cards last night I'm told about this Resident season. Now I pretty much had plans all day, but I might get to go in the AM.

Now I want to hunt them just as pest control as much as anything. However, my conscious won't let me kill an animal unless I plan to make good use of it. So, what's the best way to get rid of these birds once they are dead? I can only eat so many you know.

Speaking of eating them, I was thinking of smoking the first few. What other ways of Prep do you all suggest? If I get any teal, I could make a Goo-Duck-en.

I like it best made into summer sausage. But try this: Go to Wally World and pick up a bottle of Allegro marinade. Cut breast into 2X2 chunks, tenderize, marinade for 24 hrs, wrap in bacon, and grill. Dont over cook! I also use the Goose in Fajitas. If you like chicken livers or gizzards the goose gizzard and liver is great too. For those fortunate enough to read this post: Spend $20 and buy a Jaccard meat tenderizer. Its freakin awesome!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it best made into summer sausage. But try this: Go to Wally World and pick up a bottle of Allegro marinade. Cut breast into 2X2 chunks, tenderize, marinade for 24 hrs, wrap in bacon, and grill. Dont over cook! I also use the Goose in Fajitas. If you like chicken livers or gizzards the goose gizzard and liver is great too. For those fortunate enough to read this post: Spend $20 and buy a Jaccard meat tenderizer. Its freakin awesome!

Do you use the Allegro, or the Allegro for wild game?
I like the wild game stuff to marinate venison.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
resident goose season is past needed!!!

in Tulsa along river trails... talk about a mess our resident geese flock makes....
sometimes it's all but impossible to ride path without hitting HUGE amounts of goose dung.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went out this morning and it seems the two different flocks that were flying over our dove field everyday have changed their path already. I guess someone got to shoot at them before we did. My father in law said that they didn't fly over last night so they must have stayed in a different spot last night. He also said that if they fly over his house in the PM that we are almost guaranteed they will fly out the same way the next day. So hopefully I'll get a call some evening this week and get to go out again.

I've been watching videos on Youtube and I'm pretty excited about killing a bird with more than a couple nuggets worth of meat on it.

Anyone ever made one of those homemade pluckers out of a PVC pipe and some rubber straps that goes on the end of a drill? I'll probably just remove the skin until I get or make a plucker, but I really want to pluck and gut one so that I can cook it on the smoker like a turkey. The turkeys we smoke are the best turkeys I've ever tasted and I bet a skin on goose would be just awesome!

Latest posts

Top Bottom