resident goose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out this morning and it seems the two different flocks that were flying over our dove field everyday have changed their path already. I guess someone got to shoot at them before we did. My father in law said that they didn't fly over last night so they must have stayed in a different spot last night. He also said that if they fly over his house in the PM that we are almost guaranteed they will fly out the same way the next day. So hopefully I'll get a call some evening this week and get to go out again.

I've been watching videos on Youtube and I'm pretty excited about killing a bird with more than a couple nuggets worth of meat on it.

Anyone ever made one of those homemade pluckers out of a PVC pipe and some rubber straps that goes on the end of a drill? I'll probably just remove the skin until I get or make a plucker, but I really want to pluck and gut one so that I can cook it on the smoker like a turkey. The turkeys we smoke are the best turkeys I've ever tasted and I bet a skin on goose would be just awesome!

There is a guy North of Ponca that built a plucker with a top loading washing machine. He bought the rubber pluckers on line, and put them in the tub. Puts it on spin cycle, and it strips them clean. Gotta love redneck inventions.:D

I work at Sooner Power plant.
We had a great public beach/picnic area, but the resident geese, have totally ruined it.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on board with you. I don't kill game that I don't eat, but then again I don't eat coyotes or possum, but those are varmints.
I've never taken a goose before as I've heard so many comments about how they don't taste good.
This year, I went to a dinner at a persons home that served goose shot last year. It was awesome! The cook was a German (100%) lady. I need to get out and get one and try it.

Any way she would share her recipe with ya??

It's too bad you can't shoot inside city limits. Over by the Bethany Police Complex there is a gaggle of geese ... last count was 37 ... they were blocking traffic as they walked across the street.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i like to cube them in 2x2 chunks and tenderize with the jaquardi(sp). thing. then marinade in bbq sauce or whatever marinade you choose overnight. wrap in bacon held with a toothpick the next morn and put back in the fridge. then make a pan out of foil and let the chuncks cook in the bacon grease on the grill.

i make a dipping sauce with a 16 ounce tub of sour cream witha dollop of mayo and a small tub of crumbled bleu cheese. add one chopped clove of fresh garlic and if you wanna jazz it up a bit add some horseradish.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i like to cube them in 2x2 chunks and tenderize with the jaquardi(sp). thing. then marinade in bbq sauce or whatever marinade you choose overnight. wrap in bacon held with a toothpick the next morn and put back in the fridge. then make a pan out of foil and let the chuncks cook in the bacon grease on the grill.

i make a dipping sauce with a 16 ounce tub of sour cream witha dollop of mayo and a small tub of crumbled bleu cheese. add one chopped clove of fresh garlic and if you wanna jazz it up a bit add some horseradish.

That sounds pretty good. GC is a little hesitant to try goose because he has heard all the horror stories. Danged city boys ... :rolleyes2 ;)

I had goose and duck when I was a kid but don't have any recipes and really don't even remember what it tasted like other than it was really dark meat and very moist. I do remember my dad cooked it outside on the grill or in the smoker. He would remove the backbone (like some people do chickens) and put it on the grill.

Thanks!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds pretty good. GC is a little hesitant to try goose because he has heard all the horror stories. Danged city boys ... :rolleyes2 ;)

I had goose and duck when I was a kid but don't have any recipes and really don't even remember what it tasted like other than it was really dark meat and very moist. I do remember my dad cooked it outside on the grill or in the smoker. He would remove the backbone (like some people do chickens) and put it on the grill.

Thanks!

Well I can't say that I blame GC.

A cousin of mine brought his Thanksgiving dinner to deer camp once. For a change of pace he picked up a domestic duck at some grocery store. He is a very good cook and did it just like the traditional turkey by roasting it. He had it with stuffing and all the normal trimmings. He threw the big foil pack on the fire to warm it up. It smelled fantastic! Then I took a bite....

:hellno:

I can just imagine how strong and dark the meat on a wild puddle type duck is. And I'm not sure a goose is much better. So I'm with GC!

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got about 70 honkers behind the house in the pasture every day when I get home. Yesterday they were all out on one of the tanks, just waiting for someone to jump the dam and start goin to town on them. You can drive a tractor or feed truck right up next to them practically. But I'm sure once they see me jump out with a boomstick they'll have second thoughts about hanging around.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got about 70 honkers behind the house in the pasture every day when I get home. Yesterday they were all out on one of the tanks, just waiting for someone to jump the dam and start goin to town on them. You can drive a tractor or feed truck right up next to them practically. But I'm sure once they see me jump out with a boomstick they'll have second thoughts about hanging around.

Man, that's nice. I have the same thing in my neighborhood. Any given day we have from 5 to 25 geese just walking around the neighborhood eating grass. I'd love to drive up , hop out and got to town. They will hardly get out of your way when your driving sometimes.

Too bad I'm in the city limits with a house on every 2 acres. While most of the neighbors I've spoke with don't care for them, I'm sure as soon as I start blasting, someone will be calling the cops.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that's nice. I have the same thing in my neighborhood. Any given day we have from 5 to 25 geese just walking around the neighborhood eating grass. I'd love to drive up , hop out and got to town. They will hardly get out of your way when your driving sometimes.

Too bad I'm in the city limits with a house on every 2 acres. While most of the neighbors I've spoke with don't care for them, I'm sure as soon as I start blasting, someone will be calling the cops.

its legal to shoot one with a bow. just illegal to release an arrow in most city limits buuut, who's gonna know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom