Revolver for a friend arthritis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a friend that is looking at going from a semi-auto pistol to a revolver. She can’t rack the slide on the semi-auto very easily due to her arthritis in her hand. So I thought I would get some opinions for a revolver with a trigger pull that’s not 10 lbs. or more. What I’ve read online is that the Ruger LCR seems to have a decent pull, still about 9 lbs., but seems to have relocated the pivot points that make them feel lighter. She is looking for something in .38 special. I’m just trying to get some ideas of revolvers that might work for her. If anyone can tell me something that might work for her I would appreciate it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to go shoot one of those light weight 38's.
The one my friend has punishes his hands and his wrist. shooting 38 not any +P stuff.
I was told his wife hated it also because it kicked too much.
Ruger LCR.
I brought it home and stuck a few rounds into a stump and sure enough that grip or gun was a punishing ordeal.
I made some powder puff loads for it and it reduced the recoil.
My 1376 fps 170 gr 357 mag loads from a 6" barrel gun kicked less than the 38 loads and my 170gr 1100 fps loads kick less than the powder puff loads from the LCR.
Maybe a different grip would help that tiny terror

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're probably have difficulty finding a double-action only (DAO) revolver with a light trigger. The smoothness of the trigger can make it feel much lighter than it really is. The weight of a steel frame will help mitigate recoil. If you have to keep it compact and DAO I'd recommend something like a Smith & Wesson model 640.

If manually cocking the trigger is an acceptable option she will find the single-action pull to be much lighter. Most people discourage this practice in a carry gun but it does open the range of options to guns with concealed hammers such as the Model 49.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with zipty6. Learning to shoot single action may be her best bet. Find a medium weight revolver and help her practice with it. I grew up on single actions so that is how I shoot even when I try to change.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .327 Federal seems to be a good little revolver round, I have one but its a Ruger single action. It doesn't recoil much but it is loud.
^^^^^This. Also, while it isn't a revolver, have them take a look at the S&W M&P 380 ez. 9 rounds of 380, easy to load, rack the slide, and shoot. Was made specifically for those who are in similar situations.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The light weight revos aren't for those who suffer from arthritis. My wife has RA and she won't touch one because the recoil impulse hurts her hands, wrists and arms. She has a 9mm Shield and G42.

I would strongly suggest a 4" STEEL K frame in .38 loaded with 148 HBWC ammo. That's what I'm gonna try with my wife next time I get her to a range.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Mom gave up her 642 because of the trigger pull. She’s broken her wrist a couple times and just can’t pull it anymore. Her new gun is the shield EZ. Man, the slide pulls with very little effort and the trigger is nice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom