Riots and Looting...the best way to get "Justice"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if that's what goes through an officer's mind when he is struck by a projectile while wearing the protective vest. "Damn, I got hit because I looked too militaristic. If I had just worn my skivvy shirt this probably wouldn't have happened."

The "appearance" threshold you just used is the same illogic used by Clinton during the Asshalt Weapons ban. I didn't like it then and it doesn't fly now.

This ain't Mayberry anymore Barn. I wouldn't want someone to die just because I didn't like their attire.

Outer or inner vest you are still protected the same. One makes you look like a professional ready to help the other makes you look ready assault through the objective during a traffic stop.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Responses in blue:

Without pulling the entire box of text down, I will give this a shot and try to keep it in order.

I try very diligently to assume nothing. I am reasonably certain a state executive does not have legal authority to suspend Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S Constitution. Of course, I didn't think the feds had that authority either, but I was obviously wrong there.

I would say the difference is the use of deadly force. I will attempt to determine the emergency activation criteria, but each state is free to regulate the NG under state orders as they see fit.

If you could tie the suspension of that particular right to each case you have a valid argument. For now, see my first comment.

While it was something of a joke, I don't really differentiate between Republicans and Democrats any longer. Just varying shades of Reds(as in Red Communist) to me, which means they are all a threat to the freedoms and liberty of US citizens. As you countered with a response from the theoretical "Right"(a misnomer) I simply acknowledged the tactics.

By the pure definition, yes, I would agree. This dilutes your position also. The difference, to me, is the threat. If we are going to make assumptions, then Martial Law can be assumed to be directed at internal civil unrest, such as an insurrection. This is supported in both the Constitutional wording and the Posse Comitatus and insurrection Acts.

As this is a foreign threat, and reliable intelligence has identified Mexican military units on the US side of the border, then this is a purely military response. It would not be considered a punitive action affecting the rights of US citizens. The NCA should have taken this action without requiring the State of Texas to act unilaterally.
The key here is that it should not be occurring on our side of the line.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outer or inner vest you are still protected the same. One makes you look like a professional ready to help the other makes you look ready assault through the objective during a traffic stop.

Back to the "evil appearance" I see. I don't think the armor is rated the same, but that evidently makes no difference.

Those damned evil bayonet lugs again. Is it ok if the sidearm has a 'pistol grip'?

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me crazy but it looks to me like the problem was the heavy handed approach by local LE and not the attire. Looks like they were trying to disperse the whole crowd when they should have been leaving the peaceful demonstrators alone and focusing on the looters when they showed up. Things look like they may calm down with MHP showing up and taking over. Probably should have been called from day one in all honesty. The LE in Ferguson needs to have some leadership evaluated for actions taken the past few days. It's clear the citizens have no faith in their local LE but they seem to have faith in the MHP for now.

It's funny to me that on a gun forum we are talking about how "scary" the LE look. I could give a damn if they EDC'd an MP5, so long as they conducted themselves in a professional and constitutional manner.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if the constabulary would behave differently if they had to wear clearly-visible nametags at all times. No more hiding behind the faceless anonymity of riot gear, but something that could be clearly seen (and captured by cameras) throughout the duration of any action, so that they might be personally identified with any action they take.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back to the "evil appearance" I see. I don't think the armor is rated the same, but that evidently makes no difference.

Those damned evil bayonet lugs again. Is it ok if the sidearm has a 'pistol grip'?

The armor is the exact same. I am not talking about the vests used by SWAT/SOT I am only talking about the vests worn by your patrol officer. It is also more of a professional appearance not an evil one. Your analogy to bayonet lugs is comparing apples to oranges.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think anyone has a problem with what the authorities wear so much as they have issues with how they act.
The militarization of civilian law enforcement is manifest in their adoptions of tactics, which have led to the employment of military gear.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once pictures of the white officer start making the rounds...this weekend gonna be hot.

Oh yeah? Well, what about this?

Police named the officer involved in the shooting of Ferguson teenager Michael Brown on Friday, then released documents containing a bombshell: The 18-year-old was the "primary suspect" in the robbery of a convenience store moments before he was killed.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/15/us/missouri-teen-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom