Romney: "Never Mind"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "aggregate" amount that PBS gets from the government is equal to 15% of PBS's revenue. It is a convoluted system of funding that has that 15% aggregate but for individual stations, not specified in the following story for each station, but the funding could be up to 40% to 50% for some individual stations.

PBS Funding from the U.S. Treasury

Now, while the forum participants at OSA worry about a cartoon bird, the country is going to hell. The CBO has recently reported that America's latest deficit is $1.1 trillion.

CNBC story on America's fourth year with deficits over $1 Trillion.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad Big Bird keeps his job.

For a while there I thought Romney was promising 20% across the board tax cuts paid for by elimination of deductions that he refuses to identify.
For a while there I thought Romney was promising to expand the military and add 100,000 troops without blowing up the budget deficit.

Now I know that he plans to pay for all this by eliminating the 400m subsidy to PBS.

WOW

This is the kind of political courage we've all been waiting for.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image] Big Bird @FiredBigBird
Romney will fire Big Bird and Cookie Monster and replace them with the replacement refs #bigbird

[Broken External Image]Big Bird @FiredBigBird
Even Ernie is mad! :( #SupportBigBird #Debates

Big Bird / Elmo 2012! #debates #SupportBigBird

I guess I'm the 47%... #debates #denverdebate

OMG, they arrested Grover for defending me. :( RT @XPhile1908 THIS pic.twitter.com/JLDlmp5h
pbs.twimg.com_media_A4VQ6akCQAEQAUU.jpg

This is me after Romney gets elected:
[Broken External Image]

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad Big Bird keeps his job.

For a while there I thought Romney was promising 20% across the board tax cuts paid for by elimination of deductions that he refuses to identify.
For a while there I thought Romney was promising to expand the military and add 100,000 troops without blowing up the budget deficit.

Now I know that he plans to pay for all this by eliminating the 400m subsidy to PBS.

WOW

This is the kind of political courage we've all been waiting for.

[Broken External Image] Big Bird @FiredBigBird
Romney will fire Big Bird and Cookie Monster and replace them with the replacement refs #bigbird

Even Ernie is mad! :( #SupportBigBird #Debates

Big Bird / Elmo 2012! #debates #SupportBigBird

I guess I'm the 47%... #debates #denverdebate

OMG, they arrested Grover for defending me. :( RT @XPhile1908 THIS pic.twitter.com/JLDlmp5h
pbs.twimg.com_media_A4VQ6akCQAEQAUU.jpg

This is me after Romney gets elected:
[Broken External Image]

Seems like a lot of bandwidth just to say you were wrong! :D

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I see it, I am going to have to vote for the one who at least professes to have American values. Not my favorite choice of all candidates or others who could have been chosen, but at least someone who grew up in America, attended American schools, knows what fried chicken on Sunday after church is, been told that going to "hell" is something different than going to Chicago. Been part of kids in America himself ( real life), knowing what playing work up at the local ball field is, knowing what a cake walk to raise money at the elementary school is, or why mentioning Saturday night in you Chevrolet with your favorite girlfriend couldl make you smile, and how playing Monopoly can change your life.

For you younger people, Monopoly, a board game, before computers. This was my first introduction to capitalism. Use strategy, have a little luck, win the game. No one (EPA or OSHA) came in and took your money away from you. Some times, you had to go to jail, but play smart, you win.

Romney and Bain Cap only took on Failing companies, they were toast to begin with. Good ideas, but with not enough whatever to carry though. It was Bains bushiness structure to only look for companies that were on the way down and out, not much of a chance of recovery, and had no way to survive. Bain was their last hope of anyone saving them, for the last resort. Bain was able to pull something close to 75% of their fat out of the fire. I do not know about you, but I do not buy stock in failing companies, (at least on purpose.) I sold my Staples at $2.04/share many years ago at a loss. I should have waited for Bain Capital to take them over, now at $11.63 after the stock splits and dividends I could have made money. I guess I bet against Romney then. I will not do it again, promise.

Damned them Republicans trying to help make money for us lowly people like me, and adding employment for many people. And worse yet, they paid a dividend.

I have mentioned to one of my friends in the neighborhood that is a die hard Kennedy Democratic who has commentated that he can not understand why our other neighbor who is smart enough to be a manager of one of the Staples stores has not quit his job and try to get employment with the EPA to help shut down some other businesses ( toner companies , paper companies etc ) to protect our environment and help our economy,.

I just cannot seem to get it across to him. If you shut everything down, there is nothing left.

At least Romney grew up in America I guess that is all I can use for a reason.

+1 I like it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never said Romney said he would fire big bird. You said I said that but I didn't.

Mark my words.

Between now and Nov 6th Romney will 'evolve' to state that he never vowed to fire big bird.
He was just going to eliminate his job through attrition.

You heard it here first.

Implies that you believed and propagated that Romney said he'd fire Big Bird, which he didn't. Now that you've been disabused of that notion, you're trying to do EXACTLY what you've accused someone else of doing.

Hello pot! :)

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Implies that you believed and propagated that Romney said he'd fire Big Bird, which he didn't. Now that you've been disabused of that notion, you're trying to do EXACTLY what you've accused someone else of doing.

Hello pot! :)
Now you're catching on.
You have to start thinking like Romney to understand him.

Speaking of which, here is the escape clause in Romney's mea culpa that I promised.

When he said "I was completely wrong" did he mean he was wrong about the complete speech before his donors(47% and all that)?
OR
did he mean he was completely wrong about only part of the speech?

At some point he is going to 'evolve' to the position that he meant he was wrong about the part where he said "it's not my job to worry about the 47%" and he is going maintain his position on the rest of the speech.
But you wouldn't know that from what he said to Hannity wednesday night.
The way he said it allowed you to jump to the conclusion that he meant what he said "I was completely wrong".

You heard it here first.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll not get any argument from me that Romney is a flopper, he is. Everyone knows he is and anyone who says different is deluding themselves. However, if you take the entire quote in context, his apologies are really about deflecting the media machine's depiction of him as a soulless automaton.

For the last three years, all everybody's been told is, "Don't worry, we'll take care of you." How are you going to do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you've got to take care of yourself?

Romney: There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. And I mean, the president starts off with 48, 49, 48-he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. Forty-seven percent of Americans pay no income tax. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people-I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not, what it looks like. I mean, when you ask those people…we do all these polls-I find it amazing-we poll all these people, see where you stand on the polls, but 45 percent of the people will go with a Republican, and 48 or 4…

Face facts, Obama has been heavily preaching the government nanny state WILL take care of everyone. He's also been demonizing the rich quite heavily, particularly because they've refused to reinvest in U.S. growth while he's been threatening to tax the hell out of it and breathe down their backs with further regulations across the board. The rich aren't buying what he's selling and he's pissed about it. He never tried to work with them and it's been 100% his way or the highway.

Now add some context to that statement. It isn't about the entire populace. If Obama had 47% of the entire population voting for him, there wouldn't be a race. No one would go up against those odds with any realistic expectation of winning. It's the 47% of potential voters he's talking about, which is a much different number. He's absolutely correct. They don't pay any taxes. They get all kinds of benefits from those who do pay taxes, and they got them from liberals like Obama. Yes, they will vote for Obama. So when he says it's not his job to worry about those people, it's his job as a candidate he's talking about, not his job as President. Read the critical part analytically:

So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every four years. And so my job is not to worry about those people-I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5 to 10 percent in the center that are independents that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion, whether they like the guy or not, what it looks like.

If you consider this quote within the framework of his job as a candidate (you know, the job he's doing in that room to raise funds for his candidacy), he's 100% correct. He's never getting their votes so he can't worry about them. He has to focus on those undecideds in the middle to make his campaign work.

I think he has too many chickens counted before they hatch on the Republican side. Many of us are not happy that he's "our" candidate and the ONLY thing that will bring many to the polls is how bloody awful Obama is. He's counting on the evil specter that is Obama to get him the "base" votes he also needs, rather than actually being a good candidate for them.

So yes, he's backing away from his remarks. They've been misconstrued in the media to mean he won't care about 47% of the country when he's in office, when his sizable record of philanthropy would indicate otherwise. It's the one thing he really hasn't flopped on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom