Roofers or Contractors, is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The area that is darker is where a row simply fell out. The shingles that fall out are narrow and flat unlike the top row that is what one would consider normal sized with shingles. This wouldn’t alarm me but it’s done this on about six places. In each instance it was on a “VERY” steep section of roof. The ones that have come loose have all done it on 100 degree days and were held in place by only the tar strip from the layer above i.e. no metal fasteners of any kind. I have only done conventional old school shingles where every single piece gets nailed down so my “very” armature roofing background has never included this type of shingle. Any input from those who can answer how alarmed I should be would be greatly appreciated.

[Broken External Image]

expertzx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The area that is darker is where a row simply fell out. The shingles that fall out are narrow and flat unlike the top row that is what one would consider normal sized with shingles. This wouldn’t alarm me but it’s done this on about six places. In each instance it was on a “VERY” steep section of roof. The ones that have come loose have all done it on 100 degree days and were held in place by only the tar strip from the layer above i.e. no metal fasteners of any kind. I have only done conventional old school shingles where every single piece gets nailed down so my “very” armature roofing background has never included this type of shingle. Any input from those who can answer how alarmed I should be would be greatly appreciated.

[Broken External Image]

Geez, what would happen if we get a bad storm? Would your whole roof come apart?

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the main shingles are fastened normal and what one would think normal bundle size would be, the strip(s) that have come out are only like six inches wide and the length of a normal bundle. That's what was not nailed down and got me worried. I have seen but simply never worked with this type before. I helped a friend roof his barn once for a Colt .380 Mustang and boy was that hard work. Guys that do this for a living have my respect! Especially this time of year.

Last edited:

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The funny thing is that these have taken some really serious storms and some hail with no issue. The ones that have come out were on days like today calm but hot. I have no idea what brand they are but do know who installed them. I'll give them a call. Thanks.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How would one ever know if they were seconds? To me it looks like there is simply a 2nd laminate piece that came off what one would think the main shingle would be. It is 6" or so wide and the length of the one above it.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well further inspection looks like the 2nd laminate piece is held together from the factory by the tar/glue but continued longevity is 100% determined by proper installation. There is a white line on this type that is where the nail goes. It secures both layers when properly installed. Failure to do so also voids the manufacturer’s warranty. When not done correctly you can clearly see the results above. Sorry to answer my own question and “NO” I will not be getting screwed here. ; )

Latest posts

Top Bottom