Rudy's BBQ in Norman ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vans in Norman is good. Vans in Moore sucks bad bad bad. I've not been to Vans in Shawnee.

Shawnee rocks! I eat them all regularly and they all taste the same to me. Considering we have 2 locations 2.5 miles apart in Shawnee and the food is the same, I've concluded that is more the help and the atmosphere that effects where a person chooses as their favorite.

Bierhunter, I had ribs fries and baked beans from Moore and they were awesome. I hope you might give them another chance? I couldn't PM you so give me a call because Id like to learn more about you experience. 788-688I. Or you can visit our website and send a message through the contact us form.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say this--when we have BBQ catered at work, it's Ray's, and the man himself usually shows up to run the show. Great BBQ, and he's a really nice guy. (FWIW, the "Ray" in "Ray's" is Darrol Ray, who played defensive back for OU in the late '70s.)

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've eaten at Rudy's on hwy. 9 several times but really it was nothing to write home about, it just filled an empty stomach. I ate at the Van's in Moore once before the tornado at the 4th st. location but that visit ruined me of going to another one ever. Ate at Sims once (in Del City I think it is) and liked the food it just seemed pricey. I wish there was a Famous Dave's here in Oklahoma, I really miss them.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like bad brads in Yukon the best,but never get out that way any more. vans was second and I love there brisket and pintos but after the tornado they rebuilt farther away from my house and rarely will I brave the Walmart traffic to get there. GFF is just blocks from me and has some surprisingly good bbq for a grocery store

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rudy's is better than billy sims baked que but not that great. outside of its home places around San Antonio Rudy's just isn't so good. But around there it's awesome. I guess when you go the chain rout your quality goes down.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Shawnee rocks! I eat them all regularly and they all taste the same to me. Considering we have 2 locations 2.5 miles apart in Shawnee and the food is the same, I've concluded that is more the help and the atmosphere that effects where a person chooses as their favorite.

I've lived in Shawnee for 48 years, and I'm not a fan of Van's. Sorry.

The best thing there was always dessert. I got the worst ribeye ever at the North location some years back. It looked and tasted like a KC strip, but the manager told me she knew it was ribeye because she personally trims all the fat off of them herself. What!!!???

I don't care for Billy Boy's either.

Robb's Smokehouse BBQ is the best I've had around here, by far. No atmosphere, just good BBQ and sauce.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shawnee rocks! I eat them all regularly and they all taste the same to me. Considering we have 2 locations 2.5 miles apart in Shawnee and the food is the same, I've concluded that is more the help and the atmosphere that effects where a person chooses as their favorite. Bierhunter, I had ribs fries and baked beans from Moore and they were awesome. I hope you might give them another chance? I couldn't PM you so give me a call because Id like to learn more about you experience. 788-688I. Or you can visit our website and send a message through the contact us form.

Good stuff at Vans!!

frankos72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This discussion is fascinating. It just shows how personal and individual BBQ taste and opinion is. Even among people with (generally) the same location and (possibly) similar backgrounds.
Yep. I have found people tend to always favor whatever Q shop they were raised on.

And if you think about it, this really applies to all types of cuisine. If you've eaten the same chicken enchiladas at Mexican restaurant X for 10 years and you go to Mexican restaurant Y and order chicken enchiladas its not gonna be the same and you're bound to be disappointed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom