BBQ in Norman ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought we'd go ahead and give Dickey's a try and we just got back.

We liked their coarse cut coleslaw, BBQ'ed beans and potato salad......what they call rolls not so much.

The sliced beef brisket and pork ribs had a good flavor and was not overly smoky but the ribs like every where else were super tender and the meat pretty much just fell off the bone........I guess to get ribs that still have a little 'tug' in them, which is how we like them, it's better to cook them at home.

Mama got a two meat plate with sliced brisket and ribs and I got a two meat plate but told them to add a couple more slices of brisket and a couple more ribs and both came with two sides each and we each had tea and it ran right at $38.50.

All in all it wasn't bad and was on par with Van's or Billy Simm's.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought we'd go ahead and give Dickey's a try and we just got back.

We liked their coarse cut coleslaw, BBQ'ed beans and potato salad......what they call rolls not so much.

The sliced beef brisket and pork ribs had a good flavor and was not overly smoky but the ribs like every where else were super tender and the meat pretty much just fell off the bone........I guess to get ribs that still have a little 'tug' in them, which is how we like them, it's better to cook them at home.

Mama got a two meat plate with sliced brisket and ribs and I got a two meat plate but told them to add a couple more slices of brisket and a couple more ribs and both came with two sides each and we each had tea and it ran right at $38.50.

All in all it wasn't bad and was on par with Van's or Billy Simm's.
The couple that run it now bought it back in the summer and they have made it better I think. I usually get whatever the special is that day.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been awhile since we had BBQ out as opposed to firing up the grill at home but mama has got a craving for BBQ tonight.

We tried Ray's once when he first opened and maybe things have improved but I seem to recall that that the food was pretty good but the portion size vs the $$$ spent made it not such of a good deal.

Vann's is / was also pretty good and we've eaten there a few times but we like a little 'tug' to our ribs and with their ribs you could almost grab the bone and give it a firm shake and the meat would darn near fall off the bone.

Tried Rudy's once just off of Hwy 9 a few years back and we didn't care for it at all.

Ate at Billy Simm's a few times and we must have thought it was decent because we ate there more than once.

Never have tried Dickey's.

Not looking for a road trip so in Norman would it be.........Ray's, Vann's, Dickey's or Billy Simm's ?
If you’re ever up for a drive down Route 66, try Butcher BBQ in Wellston. It’s my favorite around here.

https://www.butcherbbqstand.com/

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite has always been a local place called "Amy's BBQ and Mexican" here in Holdenville, Oklahoma. Best brisket evah!

I've never ate at the Van's in Norman, but if I'm ever in Shawnee and get a hankerin' for some good Q, Van's is my place. I tried Billy Boys in Shawnee last weekend, and I was less than impressed. :disappoin There's also a good place in Ada called Pigskins. The BBQ fries or BBQ nachos are da bomb! :bowdown:

dabigboy

Marksman
Reaction score
Gotta second Smokin'Joe's. I've been there several times, but never drove..... They like airplanes there, so they cut a big grass strip behind the complex. It's a hoot to fly in and walk over to the restaurant. Can't say I've ever had better BBQ, my wife even raves about the steaks (she's from Argentina, where they are very picky about their beef).

Latest posts

Top Bottom